Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Keep writing or jump genres?

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Keep writing or jump genres?

Post by Divia » Fri June 13th, 2014, 9:56 pm

I was in B&N today looking at the young adult books both for my job n to see if I could find anything interesting. I noticed a disturbing trend and that was there were only THREE historical fiction novels.

Then I thought to myself, maybe I need to ditch the idea of being a YA writer. Maybe it isn't a good idea cause people dont seem to read it, or rather teens dont seem to read it. I know in my library the kids dont want historical fiction they want edgy stuff.

I am disappointed and unsure of what to do. Keep writing or jump genres n do something else.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat June 14th, 2014, 2:18 am

The question isn't so much what anybody else reads as it is what YOU like to do. What would you do if you knew that nobody would ever pay you for it? I know we all have to eat, but once the bills are met, what do you love doing?

Do that.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sat June 14th, 2014, 11:12 am

I would have thought many historical settings would be perfect for YA novels, because back in the day the world was pretty much being run by young people. Everyone grew up quicker and did things like work/serve, get married, even become king/queen while still in their teens. You could have so much fun with that!

...Now I'm picturing some sort of Sweet Valley High/medieval court mashup. I bet that would get readers.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat June 14th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Of all the advice to (aspiring) authors I've ever read, and with all the contradictory suggestions available, the ONLY consistent advice I've ever seen is that you just cannot write to the market. You can't write for whatever you think "is" or "will be" hot - because nobody ever knows that. Traditional publishing moves too slowly to be able to do that.

And ... okay, three hard copy historicals in the YA section at one book store. What does your research online show? I'd have sworn it was right here at HFO someone recently posted a link to an article indicating the *rise* in popularity of YA histfic. (Might have been at one of the blogs I read, though.) I've seen this within the past month. Given the audience, I'd have thought e-reading and indies would be a major part of the market, so that wouldn't necessarily be reflected in that store where you were. If you want a representative idea of the market, read professional publications on the YA market. Certainly, one bookshelf should not change your inspiration nor your career.

But, really, just write for your readers, yourself, and your story. Let those guide you. If you try to follow the market you're going to end up down a rabbit hole. :)
Last edited by DianeL on Sat June 14th, 2014, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon June 16th, 2014, 11:27 pm

Thanks everyone. :)

I do love to write, but I do wish to have a book published as well. However, I think I will keep writing my historical fiction stuff.

EvangelineH
Scribbler

Post by EvangelineH » Sat June 21st, 2014, 5:37 am

Based on what I've heard from friends and industry professionals, the YA Historical Fiction market is difficult to crack. It's not impossible, but it isn't "hot" as historical fantasy YA fiction. What helps is a super strong hook that will appeal and is relatable to the YA audience (e.g. a young mill worker in 1840s New England who enters the women's suffrage movement and union movement), and, as with adult HF, a recognizable setting and/or historical figure.
Last edited by EvangelineH on Sat June 21st, 2014, 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Author of Edwardian/WWI Romantic Historical Fiction & History Blogger

Author Website | Edwardian Promenade | Twitter

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon June 23rd, 2014, 1:11 am

[quote=""EvangelineH""]Based on what I've heard from friends and industry professionals, the YA Historical Fiction market is difficult to crack. It's not impossible, but it isn't "hot" as historical fantasy YA fiction. What helps is a super strong hook that will appeal and is relatable to the YA audience (e.g. a young mill worker in 1840s New England who enters the women's suffrage movement and union movement), and, as with adult HF, a recognizable setting and/or historical figure.[/quote]

Yeah I dont think I could ever write about a historical figure. Nothing calls to me, actually. I dunno. We'll see what happens.

Knowing my patrons it has to be edgy stuff. I'm unsure how to do edgy and historical fiction. I have some ideas but the one I did write was too edgy and got turned down. :confused:

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Mon June 30th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Divia, I look for books that are different and have something new to say (otherwise what's the point?) This means the author has taken a risk and stepped out from the herd. You should do likewise and stay true to what you want to write. If it is good it will find an audience :)
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Return to “The Writing Business”