Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Space after a period

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Space after a period

Post by Divia » Mon March 31st, 2014, 1:01 am

OMG. I dont know what to do. I went to find out how many spaces I should have after a period in my manuscript. Some say two which is a throwback from the typewriter. I was always taught one.

Suggestions on what to do from the published authors? I'm lost.

Thanks
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon March 31st, 2014, 1:27 pm

I grew up with two--which dates me! ;) All the advice I've read (and followed) says use one. So, when I dust off my shorts from two decades ago for a collection, I have to use the "find and replace" function throughout the manuscript.

I've also been tripped up the the Oxford comma. I grew up with the rule that the comma before "and" in a series was optional and only used if needed to clarify. The consensus in the US seems to have shifted to using the third comma in all cases and I've been dinged by reviewers who decry my absence of commas. So I've given in and use abundant commas!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Mon March 31st, 2014, 2:43 pm

I use one space after a period and no one (agent, editor, copyeditor, et al) has ever commented on it one way or the other. I think you're right that the two spaces originated with the typewriter, and the old monospaced typewriters at that. (Which is what I learned on, back in the Dark Ages, and so I had to retrain myself when I started working on a computer.)

Commas, aaaaiiiieeeee! Image
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

DanielAWillis
Reader

Post by DanielAWillis » Tue April 1st, 2014, 4:10 am

According to my editor, to whom I always defer when talking punctuation, one period. As for the Oxford comma, it is still the writer's option, just be consistent. I was raised with a comma before the and so there it will remain.

And that is the only comma rule I can remember. I screw up the rest often enough that my editor keeps a comma bag next to manuscript so she can easily reach for them as needed.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue April 1st, 2014, 8:16 pm

Thanks everyone!!! This makes me feel better. I was worried I was gonna have to change it.

As for commas....oh dear..... :eek:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue April 1st, 2014, 9:24 pm

On commas: the use of these is a matter of personal style, like the way you put pauses in your natural speech. I'm not writing scientific essays or college English papers, so I put commas in wherever I would put a break in my own speech, if I were speaking to a storytelling audience. I use the em dash and en dash in the same way, to break things up a little.

Readers who don't like my stye -- and I'm sure there are many -- have plenty of other fiction options, so we can all go our merry way and please our own tastes.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue April 1st, 2014, 9:47 pm

[quote=""Divia""]OMG. I dont know what to do. I went to find out how many spaces I should have after a period in my manuscript. Some say two which is a throwback from the typewriter. I was always taught one.

Suggestions on what to do from the published authors? I'm lost.

Thanks[/quote]

Another throwback here, although I dumped the two spaces after a period years ago. On Word (or similar) it just looks too long, especially when margin justification enters the picture.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

John Sliz
Reader

Re: Space after a period

Post by John Sliz » Tue April 12th, 2016, 7:38 pm

I leave only one space after a period and I love the Oxford comma in certain places.

Return to “The Writing Business”