Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tips for talks by writers

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
writerinthenorth
Reader

Tips for talks by writers

Post by writerinthenorth » Wed August 29th, 2012, 10:08 am

I have written quite an extensive article based on my experience of performing public talks and readings from my books, which I have called 'Ten tips for talks by writers'. It's a practical guide to the business of organizing and preparing to maximise the opportunity of book sales rather than a primer on public speaking. As a taster, here are the headlines for each tip:

1. Let them know you're available.

2. Let them know you're a great choice.

3. Know what to expect.

4. Don't be out of pocket.

5. Don't be down at heel.

6. It's not about you.

7. It is about you.

8. Become a point of sale.

9. Ask for feedback and testimonials.

10 Keep and grow your contacts.

You can read the full article here. I'd be interested in your own comments and experiences.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Thu August 30th, 2012, 9:29 am

Great advice, David. Thanks for sharing.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

writerinthenorth
Reader

Post by writerinthenorth » Thu August 30th, 2012, 11:30 pm

You're unfailingly kind, Wendy.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat September 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm

Good list, David. Thank you.

writerinthenorth
Reader

Post by writerinthenorth » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 7:22 pm

Thanks, Kate. I've been looking at your website. Interesting strapline: 'The condensed writer'. Are you little, or is this a comment on your work? Just wondering. :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue September 4th, 2012, 5:05 pm

[quote=""writerinthenorth""]Thanks, Kate. I've been looking at your website. Interesting strapline: 'The condensed writer'. Are you little, or is this a comment on your work? Just wondering. :) [/quote]

It's about my rather spare writing style. My first drafts tend to lack detail. The explanation is on the bio page I think. But I am somewhat on the short side. :D

Been thinking of changing that actually. My twitter handle is @TheKateWarren so I could go with "Kate Warren, The Kate Warren." Rather like "Bond, James Bond."

writerinthenorth
Reader

Post by writerinthenorth » Thu September 6th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Well, 'the condensed writer' must have a ring to it - I noticed it, for one. Perhaps you should stick with it. Besides, we littleuns should stick together.

Return to “The Writing Business”