Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Formatting and ereaders with regards to email downloads

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri March 16th, 2012, 7:33 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Is there any particular reason you do this instead of just converting the Word doc to mobi? The text would be fluid and you wouldn't have to manually create a second document.[/quote]

I do it because I have control over the conversion process, particularly if my text is a table (as in my bibliography which runs to many thousands of lines) so fluid text does not always work as I want it. Doing it my way, I can make sure the lines are in a readable format before I convert it. As I use this as a portable reference for when visiting libraries or bookshops, especially when I have not expected to do so, it is essential I can flick or search through it quickly to find what I want and be able to read it without cursoring around.

Having spent many years writing templates, I am something of a control freak and want to read my work in a tidy manner with formatting my way, not the way some program decides to do it.

I do use Calibre on occasion and it is useful in some circumstances but it is a cumbersome program and can take forever to convert without necessarily coming up with the product I want. But then, since converting to Word from WordPerfect however many long years ago, my documents use very precise stylesheets all the way through and that is the way I want them to look on Kindle, just on a smaller page.
Last edited by SGM on Fri March 16th, 2012, 7:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “The Writing Business”