Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

For the indie publishers...

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
fljustice
Bibliophile

For the indie publishers...

Post by fljustice » Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Found this great series of posts by Dean Wesley Smith on the business of being an Indie publisher.

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?page_id=3736
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Tue May 10th, 2011, 2:49 am

Thanks for putting those up! I've found then interesting reading . . . from both him and his wife, Kristin Rusch.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue May 10th, 2011, 3:51 am

I read through Dean's stuff after I read his wife's. He repeats himself too often for my taste. Has a lot of points, but I kept thinking, to quote Hamlet's mother, 'Methinks he doth protest too much.'

Greg
Reader

Indies Options

Post by Greg » Tue May 10th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Thanks fljustice
They are quite interesting and as Ive found give a different view to the official publishing industry. Ive already got their links in my last Red Ned Tudor blog. Whether they're right or not is difficult to say, I think in quite a few respects they are, but we will see, perhaps especially me since I've embarked on a indie path. In my latest post (that is the one before my shamelss self promotion of the Liberties of London) and a number in my prognositations and pouting blog I give a light hearted look at the ebook revolution and those members of the decadent Ancien Regime trying to stem the tide of the masses pouring through the gates of Versailles.

Regards Greg
blogging on the Tudors at http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue May 10th, 2011, 1:18 pm

I ran across Kris and Dean way back in the Pulphouse days. I never cracked that market with my SF short stories, but have followed their careers with interest. The best advice I think they give is "write fast and often" which totally leaves me in the dust. :o
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Greg
Reader

Indies Options part 2

Post by Greg » Tue May 10th, 2011, 2:04 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]I ran across Kris and Dean way back in the Pulphouse days. I never cracked that market with my SF short stories, but have followed their careers with interest. The best advice I think they give is "write fast and often" which totally leaves me in the dust. :o [/quote]

Thanks fljustice
Apparently my partner ran across them in person when she visited the US ahh some time ago (more years than she'd allow me to admit) and came back wiht a stack of their books. She dredged up some of their advice from the dim dark past to help me out when I started writing. The write fast and often is what I apparently am pretty good at, according to my Uber editor so maybe I have a chance.

Regards Greg
blogging on the Tudors at http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue May 10th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Thanks for the link, Faith.

Return to “The Writing Business”