Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pseudonyms and querying

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Gabriella
Scribbler

Pseudonyms and querying

Post by Gabriella » Tue October 26th, 2010, 3:48 pm

So I am going to begin the querying process soon and I was wondering about agents and what they think about pen names. Should I sign my query as my pen name (which is my first name, with a false last name as I share my real last name with an ex president) or my real name? Are pen names brought up later after I have actually been offered representation or what?

Sorry if this question doesn't make much sense...
Thanks for the help. :)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue October 26th, 2010, 4:56 pm

I would think that you would query with your real name, since that is what you would be signing any contracts with. If you're offered representation, you can then discuss pen names.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Tue October 26th, 2010, 5:02 pm

I queried with my real name, then once I accepted representation, discussed pseudonyms with my agent. She sends the book out under my pseudonym. I don't know what happens when you sign a contract--I would think you'd have to sign papers with your legal name.

I think some people sign their queries as "Jane Doe, writing as Marlene Thomas."
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Tue October 26th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I also queried with my real name. When asked to send a partial or full, the title page had my pen name on it. If you become agented, as Julianne said, the book is then submitted to editors under the pen name.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue October 26th, 2010, 7:35 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I would think that you would query with your real name, since that is what you would be signing any contracts with. If you're offered representation, you can then discuss pen names.[/quote]

Might the publisher want to put their oar in about the name you write under? I've always heard that J.K. Rowling would have been credited as Joanne Rowling, but the publisher felt an author who wasn't obviously female would have a wider appeal. She didn't have a middle name and J. Rowling sounded a bit abrupt, so she added the K to honour her grandmother Kathleen.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue October 26th, 2010, 8:12 pm

At the query stage, all an agent cares about is whether you have enough talent to be viable in the market. You can query under any name you want, as long as the agent has your contact information.

If you are approached for representation, that's when you discuss pseudonyms with a prospective agent.

Gabriella
Scribbler

Post by Gabriella » Tue October 26th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Thank you all so much!! :)
So many lovely answers, I cant wait to start querying...

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue October 26th, 2010, 9:07 pm

[quote=""Gabriella""]Thank you all so much!! :)
So many lovely answers, I cant wait to start querying...[/quote]

Wishing you the best of luck, Gabriella. :)

Return to “The Writing Business”