Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Eva Peron's life in the public domain?

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Helen_Davis
Compulsive Reader

Is Eva Peron's life in the public domain?

Postby Helen_Davis » Fri January 15th, 2010, 8:35 pm

I have a question- I ifound a quote on Margaret George's website that says getting permission from modern people's living relatives to write about them is nearly impossible- so should I ask for my money back from Booksurge that has published my book? It's being translated and possibly published in Argentina- am I in trouble? Or should I just keep this private like my fanfic and focus on my alternative history about Cleopatra?
http://evaperonnovel.wordpress.com

"The first time a book has gotten us close to Evita, in all her misery and all her splendor."
Excerpt from the Spanish summary of my novel

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri January 15th, 2010, 10:39 pm

I'm not sure why you would need their permission to write about her anyway. She is, afterall, dead. And she is a historic figure. Some paint her in a positive light and others in a negative.

Besides, there are bios now that are written about living people that are unauthorized . How is this different? And your book is fiction. I say its fair game.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat January 16th, 2010, 1:29 am

I agree with Divia, but if you want to be absolutely sure about something like this you need to ask a lawyer with a background in publishing and copyright issues.

Return to “The Writing Business”