Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

John Grisham Interview

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

John Grisham Interview

Postby Rowan » Sat November 21st, 2009, 8:23 pm

This morning I was watching the Today Show and caught an interview with John Grisham about his new book of short stories.

In the interview, he was asked about his book's involvement in a Justice Department investigation prompted by the American Booksellers Association into what they call predatory pricing where some stores are selling the book for $24 and other stores sell it for $9. I won't go into the details of what was said, but something that Grisham said I wanted to get others' opinions on.

He said that if the future publishing lies with ebooks, there will be a change in publishing as a whole (which I agree with) but also that there'd be fewer writers. I don't see how that is an accurate statement. Anyone agree or disagree?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 4:50 am

I disagree. What are there going to be 10 authors writing books? How can that be when if its true what they say, and ebooks are cheaper then doesnt that mean you could have more authors. Of course that could also mean you could have more crappy authors out there.

I think he's wrong on that point. but thats just me.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 11:22 am

Perhaps he meant that there will be fewer authors using the tradtional publishing model and forms, i.e. paperback and hardback books.

Or maybe he meant to differentiate between "authors" and "writers."

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Postby Rowan » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 1:40 pm

That could very well have been what he meant LH. That there would be fewer "good" writers.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue November 24th, 2009, 2:28 am

I can't see why ebooks would reduce the number of 'good' writers, although the ease of expression will certainly increase the number of poor ones. But consumers don't buy according to ratios, and cream always rises to the top.

I think he meant that there would be fewer people who wrote books for a living. When there are more opportunities than anybody has time to taste, the financial pie gets sliced smaller for everybody on the producing end.

I think there will be fewer professional writers because there will be so many people who do it for the love of expression, without being paid. Not that either is better or worse. It's just economics, as in "very few people buy cows when there is plenty of free milk to be had."
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Tue November 24th, 2009, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rowan
Bibliophile

Postby Rowan » Tue November 24th, 2009, 1:43 pm

I still think ebooks are a long way from becoming standard. I would rather hold a real book in my hand. Of course if they ever make an ebook reader that is completely 100% water proof or water resistant (so I can read in the tub without fear of ruining the thing) then I might jump on the bandwagon. Until then, Mr Grisham can make all the predictions he likes.

Return to “The Writing Business”