Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Author Sued for Basing Character on Friend

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Sat November 21st, 2009, 7:28 pm

Another excellent reason for writing biographical historical fiction. None of my acquaintances have crowns on their heads

HA! Although I can name some girlfriends who think they do... hee hee (wait, I might be included in that ;) ).
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Sat November 21st, 2009, 8:00 pm

I remember a few years back when Patricia Cornwell was sued by the families of a pair of teens who claimed she had copied the teen's manner of death. Cornwell won because their manner of death was the only aspect of their lives that was copied; not enough to prove she read the case of the teens' deaths and rewrote it verbatim.

I guess it's different when it's a close friend, but as Sarah said, if the woman who sued her friend had kept her mouth shut no one would've made a big deal out of it.

Return to “The Writing Business”