Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Promotion

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat September 26th, 2009, 7:45 pm

That is a good article Michelle. Thanks for posting.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat September 26th, 2009, 8:08 pm

"michellemoran" wrote:O.M.G. Misfit, where did you find this?! Does he really use this in ads?

And MLE, you're right. All he's missing is Muhammad and Buddha.

Pretty tacky huh? This guy posted his "God Machine" contest at a thread at the HF boards at Amazon (and at least one other board). He took umbrage when some of the posters questioned the appropriateness of the thread and it was eventually taken down by Amazon (hawking products in discussion threads is against guidelines). One of my friends was so ticked he bought the book, read it and gave it three stars. The comments got a bit heated. He fancies himself quite the internet promoter and I believe there's an entry on him at Wik.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Postby Julianne Douglas » Sun September 27th, 2009, 5:41 am

"michellemoran" wrote:WOW. It's all so time intensive.

For Nefertiti, they took out an ad in the NYT. For Cleopatra's Daughter, there's an ad on GoFugYourself.celebuzz.com (perhaps ironically).

Michelle, my fifteen year-old was reading FailBlog when he shouted, "Mom, come here, it's your friend's book!" There in the sidebar was an ad for Cleo's Daughter. Did you choose to run an ad on FailBlog? Was that a publicist's choice? How does one decide which blogs to advertise on?
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Postby juleswatson » Sun September 27th, 2009, 9:06 am

Thanks Michelle, another interesting article I will squirrel away for next year when I'm gearing up to promote The Raven Queen - too busy writing it at the moment!!!. Where do writers find the time to actually write????? :(
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Postby Elizabeth » Sun September 27th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Michelle, very interesting (and daunting) article, thank you. I'm so much a throwback to the "write a book and disappear while writing the next one" author model. Sigh.

Have you guys run across the Shrinking Violets promotion site? That's much more my style. Although like Jules I've tucked the WP article away for future reference.
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun September 27th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Thank you Elizabeth! The Shrinking Violets are awesome!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Sun September 27th, 2009, 8:03 pm

The comments got a bit heated.

I bet! HA!

Yes, Julianne, I chose to run an ad there. I only run ads which get very high click-thrus, and I keep very, very detailed notes about cost/flight date/type of creative/number of clicks/etc. How do I know which ads work? Well, for Nefertiti it was tens of thousands of dollars of hit-and-miss (yup, farewell advance). After three books, I (and people like MJ Rose) can pretty much tell which sites are a waste of time and which ones are worth the money. Publishers (as the above article explains) expect this from authors now, however frustrating it is (and as much marketing and publicity as I do, I'd much rather be writing).

When it comes time to market your book, we'll talk!

Great link Elizabeth! I'm off to explore it more thoroughly now!
Last edited by michellemoran on Mon September 28th, 2009, 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “The Writing Business”