Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The covers that didn't make it

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 8:30 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Yeah I really like the cover :) But then again I am a neo-Victorian pagan type of chick. :D [/quote]

I had the feeling you were. Kindred spirits . . . I like a cravat and a full moon myself, on occasion. ;)
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Sat April 4th, 2009, 7:47 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Jules, I like it. It's wildly inappropriate, very neo-Victorian pagan, but eye-catching all the same.[/quote]

[quote=""Divia""]Yeah I really like the cover :) But then again I am a neo-Victorian pagan type of chick. :D [/quote]

Well, I only hope lots of Spaniards feel like you!! For my latest book, the artist used a Celtic cross to get some decorated border down one side. I had to point out that the book predates Christianity in Ireland by 500 years and inside it is a "pagan fest", so it was false advertising. They chopped one arm off so it's just a border now... My old UK agent was Mary Gentle's agent and when Gentle wrote Ash she had a huge fight trying to get weapons on the cover from the correct historical period and place. I do understand that need to make it right, but many authors just have to let it go, I guess. You just don't want super-informed people like you all on this forum thinking the author agreed to those anachronisms!!
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat April 4th, 2009, 10:12 am

[quote=""juleswatson""]Well, I only hope lots of Spaniards feel like you!! For my latest book, the artist used a Celtic cross to get some decorated border down one side. I had to point out that the book predates Christianity in Ireland by 500 years and inside it is a "pagan fest", so it was false advertising. They chopped one arm off so it's just a border now... My old UK agent was Mary Gentle's agent and when Gentle wrote Ash she had a huge fight trying to get weapons on the cover from the correct historical period and place. I do understand that need to make it right, but many authors just have to let it go, I guess. You just don't want super-informed people like you all on this forum thinking the author agreed to those anachronisms!![/quote]

I like the Spanish cover but then I do like Victorian Medieval. But I prefer your UK ones and they are obviously much better in keeping with the history! I was expecting Source Books to do something like that for The Greatest Knight, but with huge relief from me, they have bought the UK Rostant cover. Mostly authors hide with a cushion over their heads when there's a new book cover due! A cover and a title can make or break a book. I wonder if Captain Corelli's Mandolin would have been such bestseller if it had been called 'Love and War on a Greek Island.'!

Keny, thanks for the translations of the the Czech titles! I don't know what the translations themselves are like, and the covers are not commercial at all, but the books have always sold well in Czech Republic!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “The Writing Business”