Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Did I ruin my chances?

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Richard
Reader

Did I ruin my chances?

Postby Richard » Sat March 7th, 2009, 12:57 pm

I just realized that I did this when I meant this, instead of doing this when I meant this, in the sample pages I sent to agents.

How serious a goof is this? As far as I can tell the rest is properly formatted (1" margins, 12 point TNR, etc.)

Four weeks on from the first batch of mailings to agents... I'm assuming that acceptance takes longer to process than rejection, so no news is good news!
Last edited by Richard on Sat March 7th, 2009, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

User signature picture

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Sat March 7th, 2009, 1:15 pm

"Richard" wrote:I just realized that I did this when I meant this, instead of doing this when I meant this, in the sample pages I sent to agents.

How serious a goof is this? As far as I can tell the rest it is properly formatted (1" margins, 12 point TNR, etc.)

Four weeks on from the first batch of mailings to agents... I'm assuming that acceptance takes longer to process than rejection, so no news is good news!

I'm no expert, but I don't think it's a serious goof.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat March 7th, 2009, 5:19 pm

"Richard" wrote:I just realized that I did this when I meant this, instead of doing this when I meant this, in the sample pages I send to agents.

How serious a goof is this? As far as I can tell the rest is properly formatted (1" margins, 12 point TNR, etc.)

Richard, you'll be pleased to know you are sweating the small stuff and making mountains out of non existant molehills. I send in all my manuscripts with this rather than this Heck, I send mine in with Times new Roman at a 13 font (bigger than 12 and easier to read, but not as overtly big as 14) and at exactly 22 point on an A4 page. No one has has as yet penalised me for such digression. Okay, I'm established, but I can safely say that providing your script is legible, in good English and double spaced thereabouts, no one is going to turn you down for something as piddling as writing your word in italics rather than underlining it.
Agents will often take much longer than four weeks to even look at a manuscript. 6 minimum I would say, but more like 8 to 12. My agency is a middle sized one in the UK and they receive around 40 scripts a day, six days a week. Cliehts who are earning them money need to come first and the queries get dealt with as and when. It's useful to keep an eye on the timing of submitting a script. The week before the London and Frankfurt Book fairs (April and October) is not good for example as you will be waiting forever for a response.
Good luck, and as I say, don't sweat the small stuff. Providing the all over appearance is professional, you'll be okay.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Richard
Reader

Postby Richard » Sat March 7th, 2009, 7:09 pm

Thanks, good to know - and now I also know how to do a search-and-replace on formatting in Word! I thought I was going to have to do the whole thing manually...
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

User signature picture

Return to “The Writing Business”