Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Knossos: A Novel of Ancient Crete

Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here.
Forum rules
Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here. This is the place for actively participating forum members who are also authors to post news about newly released books, book deals, book tours, blog tours, public appearances, awards, etc. Author members who are active in other areas of the forum, other than in self-promotion, are welcome to post here; those who post only here or who post only self-promotional material on the forum will be considered for deletion as spammers. Please reserve this forum for truly newsworthy items; reviews of your books or notifications of new blog posts you make, for example, are not considered newsworthy for purposes of this forum.
fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat May 17th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Congrats, Laura! As to print versions, since its a series of stories, why not break it into three or four books?
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sat May 17th, 2014, 5:09 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Congrats, Laura! As to print versions, since its a series of stories, why not break it into three or four books?[/quote]

Because the stories are linked together as a single narrative. I basically gave Knossos the Michener/Rutherford treatment. The book can't be broken up.

I've never been able to find someone who can assist with print formatting, so I've never published any of my books in print. Besides, it's far less expensive for readers to purchase the ebooks.
Last edited by lauragill on Sun May 18th, 2014, 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: na

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri May 23rd, 2014, 4:47 pm

[quote=""lauragill""]Because the stories are linked together as a single narrative. I basically gave Knossos the Michener/Rutherford treatment. The book can't be broken up.

I've never been able to find someone who can assist with print formatting, so I've never published any of my books in print. Besides, it's far less expensive for readers to purchase the ebooks.[/quote]

Thinking Lord of the Rings. ;) I've read a few "series" that were actually one book broken up, because it was too long. You can do it yourself for free through CreateSpace or Lightning Source. I would be glad to talk you through that process. Or you can do it for a couple hundred bucks through places like Booklocker.com (if you provide the cover) or a flat "hosting" fee through Book Baby type services. Just a thought. Not trying to make more work for you. I know a lot of indie authors who go ebook only...its a business decision.

My mix is roughly 2/3 ebooks and 1/3 paper sold across all my books. That quite frankly surprised me. The paperbacks are at the high end of the price range for the page count because they're POD. But 75-80% of all books sold (doesn't include free downloads) are still paperback because there are a vast number of people who don't have ereaders and don't read on their phones or computers. I put my stuff in print as a "favor" for potential readers, thinking I'd sell a couple copies at most, and found it makes up 1/3 of my income. :)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sat May 24th, 2014, 6:04 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Thinking Lord of the Rings. ;) I've read a few "series" that were actually one book broken up, because it was too long. You can do it yourself for free through CreateSpace or Lightning Source. I would be glad to talk you through that process. Or you can do it for a couple hundred bucks through places like Booklocker.com (if you provide the cover) or a flat "hosting" fee through Book Baby type services. Just a thought. Not trying to make more work for you. I know a lot of indie authors who go ebook only...its a business decision.

My mix is roughly 2/3 ebooks and 1/3 paper sold across all my books. That quite frankly surprised me. The paperbacks are at the high end of the price range for the page count because they're POD. But 75-80% of all books sold (doesn't include free downloads) are still paperback because there are a vast number of people who don't have ereaders and don't read on their phones or computers. I put my stuff in print as a "favor" for potential readers, thinking I'd sell a couple copies at most, and found it makes up 1/3 of my income. :) [/quote]

I sent you a private message.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Tue June 24th, 2014, 1:56 am

If you belong to the Making Connections group on Goodreads, you can read Knossos free in exchange for a review. Serious reviewers only, please. Last time I did this with a book, people signed up, received books, and never reviewed.

Return to “Author Announcements”