Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Released Soon - Michelle Moran's The Heretic Queen

Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here.
Forum rules
Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here. This is the place for actively participating forum members who are also authors to post news about newly released books, book deals, book tours, blog tours, public appearances, awards, etc. Author members who are active in other areas of the forum, other than in self-promotion, are welcome to post here; those who post only here or who post only self-promotional material on the forum will be considered for deletion as spammers. Please reserve this forum for truly newsworthy items; reviews of your books or notifications of new blog posts you make, for example, are not considered newsworthy for purposes of this forum.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed September 17th, 2008, 10:54 pm

My copy arrived today! Congrats, Michelle! I can't wait to start reading it!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 1:02 am

Congrats to Michelle, whose book The Heretic Queen, has gone back for a second printing! Way to go Michelle!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 2:34 am

That rocks!

How many copies is a first printing?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 3:17 am

Thank you, Diamondlil! Thank you, Divia!!!!

Divia, I'd love to answer your question, but sales figures and print runs are jealously guarded in the publishing industry. Ask almost any author and they'll tell you that getting numbers out of an editor is like asking a cat to go for a walk. Practically impossible (although with some coaxing and the right feline the possibility does exist)!

My first print run is certainly in the tens of thousands since I sold out my first (and probably most of the second) run for the hardcover of Nefertiti. Sometimes, publishers fib to authors about their print runs, and they almost always fib to the media, inflating the number by as much as 80% if they want to spread buzz! It's a strange, strange industry with its own set of unspoken rules. But the truth eventually comes out, if not to the public, then to to author who gets a royalty statement every six months.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 5:43 am

Great news Michelle !!! Congratulations !!! Image

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 7:08 am

Congratulations, Michelle.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 11:10 am

Well I'd like to think the numers arent fibbed about and that your book is burning up the charts :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 1:37 pm

Such great news about your Heretic Queen's second printing already, Michelle. I guess the copy I'm waiting for right now from Amazon is a first run, yay!

btw - cats love to be asked to go for walks, they just politely request that the leash be left behind ;)

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 3:56 pm

Congratulations, Michelle! That's so great! Well deserved too!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 7:03 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]Thank you, Diamondlil! Thank you, Divia!!!!

Divia, I'd love to answer your question, but sales figures and print runs are jealously guarded in the publishing industry. Ask almost any author and they'll tell you that getting numbers out of an editor is like asking a cat to go for a walk. Practically impossible (although with some coaxing and the right feline the possibility does exist)!

My first print run is certainly in the tens of thousands since I sold out my first (and probably most of the second) run for the hardcover of Nefertiti. Sometimes, publishers fib to authors about their print runs, and they almost always fib to the media, inflating the number by as much as 80% if they want to spread buzz! It's a strange, strange industry with its own set of unspoken rules. But the truth eventually comes out, if not to the public, then to to author who gets a royalty statement every six months.[/quote]

That's interesting Michelle. (congrats on reprint btw :) ) In the UK and with my publisher I know exactly what my print runs are and exactly how many copies are sold each week. Around publication time they update me with regular reports as a matter of routine. Copies of sales are shown in the trade papers such as The Bookseller using Nielsen Bookscan POS technology, so there's no getting away with fibbing the figures. Hardcover print runs are much smaller than UK print runs - in fact miniscule in comparison if you are selling hardcovers in the tens of thousands. That just doesn't happen in the UK. Hardcover print runs in the UK start at less than 2,000 and do not go much above 10,000 even for a mega-selling author. I've certainly never reached that figure in hardcover, although paperback is a different animal entirely. 10,000 in paperback would immediately put an author on the skids but 10,000 in hardcover is better than fantastic.
I do think the public tend to receive a skewed idea of the kind of income an author earns though - courtesy of J.K. Rowling and Philippa Gregory and the like!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Author Announcements”