Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Celtic book and new website

Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here.
Forum rules
Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here. This is the place for actively participating forum members who are also authors to post news about newly released books, book deals, book tours, blog tours, public appearances, awards, etc. Author members who are active in other areas of the forum, other than in self-promotion, are welcome to post here; those who post only here or who post only self-promotional material on the forum will be considered for deletion as spammers. Please reserve this forum for truly newsworthy items; reviews of your books or notifications of new blog posts you make, for example, are not considered newsworthy for purposes of this forum.
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue February 24th, 2009, 2:15 am

I"m looking forward to this one as well - it sounds really interesting.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue February 24th, 2009, 2:54 am

Congrats, Jules! Looks like a good story. I've added a listing for it at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info on the Ancient History page (Ancient Ireland section).
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue February 24th, 2009, 6:21 am

Posted by Carla
A word of warning, there's considerable disagreement about how much population replacement actually happened. The academic pendulum swings, and I think at the moment the prevailing view is that the number of Germanic immigrants was fairly small and what happened was largely a change of language and culture.
I imagine that the reason why the areas at the fringes remained more clearly Celtic might have been that they were more difficult to occupy, perhaps more trouble than it was worth. Throughout the rest of the country there probably would have been a gradual melding of peoples, with as Carla says, the Germanic languages and culture becoming predominant over time.

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Tue February 24th, 2009, 8:43 am

Thanks everyone! Yes, Carla I agree with what you said about the Anglo-Saxons, that is the prevailing opinion nowadays. It makes more sense, really. It's the same with the Celts; most academics don't like "invasion" theories, which is why I use archaeology touchy feely words like "language" and "culture" in my post. I have also heard that theory about an early form of English. Fascinating!

[quote=""annis""]I imagine that the reason why the areas at the fringes remained more clearly Celtic might have been that they were more difficult to occupy, perhaps more trouble than it was worth. Throughout the rest of the country there probably would have been a gradual melding of peoples, with as Carla says, the Germanic languages and culture becoming predominant over time.[/quote]

Annis, I'm sure that's true. And the fact that the eastern areas were closer to Saxon countries anyway, so ideas would have spread east to west and north and as you said, petered out when there were fewer people in harsh terrain etc.
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue February 24th, 2009, 9:07 am

Congrats on the release Jules, and the website looks great!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue February 24th, 2009, 9:23 am

[quote=""Carla""]A word of warning, there's considerable disagreement about how much population replacement actually happened. The academic pendulum swings, and I think at the moment the prevailing view is that the number of Germanic immigrants was fairly small and what happened was largely a change of language and culture. I lean to this view myself. Massive population replacement is pretty difficult to achieve without either superior technology or a new disease, and there's no reason to think the Germanic peoples had either. The Germanic tribes had been trading with the Roman Empire and serving in the Roman army for ages, so any diseases would presumably have been shared back and forth as well. But culture can change in a few years or a few generations, and when you dig up the archaeology material culture is what you get. We find a girl buried wearing a pair of square-headed brooches and a string of beads and say "Ah-ha, Anglo-Saxon!", but there's no reason she had to have been born in Germany, she could just as easily have been a local girl who liked the new fashion. We can't tell.

There's also a very interesting theory that there may have been some people speaking a form of English living in what's now England before the Romans arrived. In other words, although Celtic-speaking tribes were present throughout Britain, it may be that not everybody was Celtic-speaking.

Complicated and uncertain..... as usual for early medieval Britain :-) [/quote]

An example which springs to mind is the Canaanites. If you look at Egyptian art they are portrayed as very different to the Egyptians in terms of fashion, but if you look at Canaanite art they are very assimilated, everything is done in the Egyptian mode.

kellie
Scribbler
Location: Normally live in Perth, Australia but for the next year and a bit I am on exchange in Britain.

sweet :)

Post by kellie » Tue February 24th, 2009, 12:58 pm

fantastic i heard late last year that you had a new book coming out but could get no information from any of my ordering sites (i work in a bookstore in australia). i think your a brilliant writer very engaging novels so well done cant wait to see your new work... do you know the release date for aus or should i just cheat and import it in and get it now??? :)

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Tue February 24th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Hi Kellie, thanks for your comments. It is going to be a long long time before it comes out in Australia for various reasons - I am telling all my Australian readers on my mailing list to buy it from either Amazon UK or Amazon US or other US sites like Borders, Barnes and Noble etc. I used to do that when I lived in Oz and the postage wasn't that much anyway. You might gain on the exchange rate! :D
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue February 24th, 2009, 2:08 pm

I'm looking forward to reading this one. I love historicals rooted in mythology, and historical fantasy is one of my favorite sub-genres, although I'm not nearly as familiar with Celtic myths as I am with Greek and Roman. I just received an email that my book had shipped from Amazon US (yesterday or day before, I think), so it's now available here in the US.

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Tue February 24th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Goody, thanks for letting me know Ludmilla. Hope you like it. It's very exciting, I feel all proud like a new mother today!

Return to “Author Announcements”