Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rubbish documentaries

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
499BC
Scribbler

Rubbish documentaries

Post by 499BC » Mon April 14th, 2014, 10:07 am

Being a bit of a gardening obsessive I was quite looking forward to 'The Wonder of Weeds' on the beeb. Well, I missed it but caught up with it on iPlayer on Saturday.
It quickly became obvious it was going to be yet another waste of space. The facts were thinly spread and there were lots of shots of wavering wild flowers and the presenter staring at the wondrous plants. As always in these programs there were repeated shots of the same things (in case we forgot?).

Any advice for the gardener with a plot full of weeds? - zero of course :rolleyes:
Somehow you are supposed to love weeds from now on. Sit back and watch them grow whilst your veg patch becomes a jungle.

There are too many documentaries that are padded out with rubbish like this - what a waste :mad:

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Tue May 6th, 2014, 11:53 pm

I was very disappointed in the last Secrets of the Dead on PBS, the one on the Carthaginians in the New World. No solid evidence, all conjecture. Not up to the show's usual standards.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed May 7th, 2014, 3:30 am

Ah, documentary crud--I was sent a copy of a National Geographic program on the conquest of Peru by a friend who was sure I would want it. (My llamas and I would often be hired to come give talks at schools on this subject.) What a load of misinformation! I would have thought better of National Geographic. It was worse than the History Channel's take on the same subject.

I'm a storyteller, so I know that it's important to keep the consumer's interest with a good story, but history IS a good story without all this sloppy invention. Do a little work, screenwriters! If you learn the subject deep and wide, you can easily put together a dramatic narrative using nothing but the facts.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri June 6th, 2014, 12:38 am

I did post my impressions of the U.S. version of Atlantis: Birth of a Legend on my blog.

Not as good a docudrama as Pompeii: The Last Day.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”