Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

History/politics cutoff point

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Helen_Davis

History/politics cutoff point

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat November 2nd, 2013, 8:46 pm

If this has been debated before I apologize, I'm just curious-- is there a 'cut-off' date between the two? I am curious since I am interested in Angela Merkel and what is going on there in the EU. Since she's alive today I know obviously she would be political. I'm pretty young, so I consider 1970s and before historical. Any thoughts?

John Sliz
Reader

Post by John Sliz » Tue December 17th, 2013, 1:59 pm

As far as I am concerned if it happened before today it is history.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 17th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I missed this thread when it got started, apologies. I think it's been said somewhere that the 50s are the cutoff point? That would make sense for older peeps like me, the 70s were years I lived in, and I can't imagine thinking of them as historical. That said, for you younger whipper snappers, I can see the 70s as being a historical period.

Make sense?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Tue December 17th, 2013, 4:15 pm

History for you young'ns = current events for my generation. :D

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed December 18th, 2013, 12:20 am

I've seen a mobile line drawn in the past couple of years, pinning the question to the author - if an author born in the eighties writes about the sixties, they are writing historical. But an author born in the forties writing about the sixties is not. It has a certain logic, but I'm open to a pretty subjective interpretation and, for me, I tend to judge historical from my personal perspective. I can't think of anything from the past fifty years as "historical", personally, and even the rest of the 20th century I would probably look at more just as a story than historical.

As far as making the distinction historical/political, I'm not sure the options are compelling. Not all historicals are apolitical, by a very long shot, and political writing transcends the period in which it's either fictionally or accurately set. A work could be both or neither.
Last edited by DianeL on Wed December 18th, 2013, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat December 21st, 2013, 3:23 am

[quote=""DianeL""]I've seen a mobile line drawn in the past couple of years, pinning the question to the author - if an author born in the eighties writes about the sixties, they are writing historical. But an author born in the forties writing about the sixties is not. It has a certain logic, but I'm open to a pretty subjective interpretation and, for me, I tend to judge historical from my personal perspective. I can't think of anything from the past fifty years as "historical", personally, and even the rest of the 20th century I would probably look at more just as a story than historical.

As far as making the distinction historical/political, I'm not sure the options are compelling. Not all historicals are apolitical, by a very long shot, and political writing transcends the period in which it's either fictionally or accurately set. A work could be both or neither.[/quote]

Thanks and especially very true about your last paragraph.

Donroc-- very funny!

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat December 21st, 2013, 9:16 pm

Heh - something of a restatement of Donroc's point, really, but thank you. :) I'm fascinated by the idea of making the author the measure, and it seems like it could go the same way, measuring "historical" by audience/reader too (settings 10-20 years before they were around being historical, etc.)

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun August 3rd, 2014, 2:02 am

BUMP

So if I were to write about Angela Merkel it would not be historical but just a story, but whereas, say, anovel about Eleanor Roosevelt would be historical?
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Tue July 25th, 2017, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun August 3rd, 2014, 9:14 pm

Sounds right to me! For all that's worth. ;)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun August 3rd, 2014, 10:42 pm

Yep.
Thats what I would say.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”