Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Does the US have more violent crime than the UK?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Does the US have more violent crime than the UK?

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat January 12th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed January 23rd, 2013, 6:32 pm

Thanks for posting, really intriguing!

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Thu January 31st, 2013, 9:16 am

Come to sunny SA. I've been mugged three times (once at knifepoint) and know people who have been through the same thing. House burgled twice.

When I walk the streets I 'case' them - check who might be potential muggers and where I could go if they come for me. It's a way of life.
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu January 31st, 2013, 4:19 pm

Well, the murder rate is lower in the UK, even if the violent crime rate is much higher. What that strongly suggests to me is that the violent crimes in the UK are less lethal because there are so many fewer guns. The guy on the video goes into a rant about how guns in the US aren't the problem, but his own statistics strongly suggest they're a big problem. It's good to know, though, that our violent crime rate here has dropped 50% over the last 20 years. He rightly points out that the media and US politicians don't make much of this. My own hunch about why is that the media loves to sensationalize crime, and politicians like to play on people's fears, and a lowered crime rate doesn't play into either of these strategies. In fact, the lowered crime rate may be due to a lower percentage of the population being under 30. I've read in a number of sources over the years that the percentage of young men in a population correlates with the violence rate. More mature men are less violence-prone.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 31st, 2013, 4:32 pm

I think knife crime is more of a problem in the UK than gun crime, but I agree that the media loves to sensationalise pretty much anything these days.

Interesting comment about the percentage of young men and the rate of violence.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu January 31st, 2013, 4:54 pm

This is why I don't think banning guns will help in the long run because clever criminals 1. Do not obey laws and 2. even if they do, they will find other ways to carry out their henious deeds. To quote Einstein

"I don't know what WW3 will be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and rocks."

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am

I missed this whole discussion, but that's probably fine because I can only add that in theory we should have more violent crime than the UK because we have more people.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”