Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What should a society do about the mentally unstable?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed December 26th, 2012, 8:07 pm

[quote=""MLE""]You're kidding, right? The US stole that at gunpoint (well, we stole Texas after trouncing the Mexican army when they objected, and then we paid a dinky little pittance for California, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico). The Mexicans didn't like it, but seeing as the US had a great deal more firepower, there wasn't much they could do except grit their teeth and agree.

It isn't as though that has changed.

Not that I'm advocating any kind of reparations. Money given to the Mexican government goes into somebody's private bank account.
And I suppose it could be justified by the argument that the US has definitely provided better government to those areas than Mexico does for any of their citizens.

Besides, the law-abiding ranchers who own property along Southwestern border definitely need to hang on to their guns.[/quote]
My mom said we would go to war if Mexico tried to do that and the US would win.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu December 27th, 2012, 1:27 am

Mexico is not likely to try that, Helen.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu December 27th, 2012, 3:40 am

I think someone's been reading too many of those chain emails....

BTW best place to check a rumor or verify whether something you read on the net is true or not: Snopes.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue January 15th, 2013, 2:11 am

Read this today.
http://thebluereview.org/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother/
Wow. Unvarnished honesty.
Yep, I've been there. Though at the moment in my family, things are calm, thank God.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”