Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anyone else tired of Tudor HF?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Helen_Davis

Anyone else tired of Tudor HF?

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri November 16th, 2012, 4:43 pm

I do not mean to offend any of the writers on here, so I apoligze in advance. However, I am SICK TO DEATH of Tudor HF. IMO, the whole British monarchy is overdone. Yes it's interesting, but I want something new and fresh. If we're sticking with royalty, why not the Ptolemies that came before Cleopatra VII? Or the Spanish Royal Houses? (The French Royal Family is overrated too, IMO.) What about ancient history? American? Latin America? Persia? Sorry.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri November 16th, 2012, 7:16 pm

I was just recently saying on GR how ideal Joanna of Naple's story would be for a novel/TV series/movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_I_of_Naples

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri November 16th, 2012, 11:30 pm

This has been my pet peeve now for nearly two years, maybe three? I have a love hate relatinship with Phillipa Greogry. She brought HF back with a bang, but people only think the Tudors are interesting.

I think it is better than it was a few years ago. We are starting to see new authors and different places (thankfully) Though I do wish therew as more American HF. But alas, we dont have royality and people seem to love that.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sat November 17th, 2012, 3:23 am

I would love more on the French royals, in english of course!

I have watched the first 2 of the Accursed Kings series, based on the books of Maurice Duron, and am glad that I have the books to read. Three sisters in law, all married to the french princes, 2 of which are sisters, all imprisoned for adultery!? Didn't know anything of these goings on..... but can't think but that it is a tale well worth revisiting in historical fiction.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat November 17th, 2012, 4:07 am

[quote=""Mythica""]I was just recently saying on GR how ideal Joanna of Naple's story would be for a novel/TV series/movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_I_of_Naples[/quote]

If I weren't doing alternate history, she'd be under consideration. :)

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue November 20th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Why do you think I've got my head stuck so far back in Ancient History? :p

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue November 20th, 2012, 4:09 pm

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]If I weren't doing alternate history, she'd be under consideration. :) [/quote]

Do it! I'd buy it. :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue November 20th, 2012, 4:47 pm

I'm not sick of the Tudors because I never got into them in a big way in the first place. I just read what I want to read and sometimes that may happen to be Tudor novel - not often, but sometimes. Ditto any historical period. I don't read it because it's set in a particular time or about a particular person, I read it because it takes my fancy. Sure, there are a stacks of Tudor books out there but there are plenty of others to choose from too. You need never read another Tudor book in your life if you don't want to. It's not as if there's nothing else out there.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed November 21st, 2012, 6:52 pm

Just received the new HNS magazine. 2 pages of 16thC HF reviews and 15pages of 20thC reviews. Hmmm....
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed November 21st, 2012, 10:22 pm

Sorry, 20th C doesn't do it for me at all. I refuse to be labeled a living history exhibit unless I'm actually re-enacting something. :cool:

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”