Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reviews are for readers, right?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 6th, 2013, 12:31 am

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]OOP=out of print?[/quote]

That would be it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed February 6th, 2013, 4:19 am

[quote=""Misfit""]That would be it.[/quote]

Good way to go!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri February 8th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Just a further comment on the Librarything vs. Goodreads discussion.
It's occurred to me that each of the two sites has a different focus, which is reflected in their respective names and functional strengths.

LibraryThing is more focused on users cataloguing their actual libraries, ie. the books they own. (You can create folders or tags to denote books you've read but don't own, but that is more a secondary development.) Of course, all the ratings, reviews and discussions that flow from that are part of the site as well, but it's structured around the books you have in your library and the functionality of adding book details, editions, covers and so on is very strong.

Goodreads is more focused on the books that users have read or plan to read. You can add a note to say whether you own the book or not, but that's not the main structural feature. I find it a lot harder to find or add the exact edition of a book I have and its cover and other aspects. But the discussion and groups are a lot stronger.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri February 8th, 2013, 12:35 pm

I prefer LT, I quite like the quizzes and some of the features on GR, although I got a bit huffy yesterday looking at one of their polls, which was Best Books of the 20th Century. There were several comments asking why there weren't any books by the likes of Dickens, Austen etc in that poll.....! Having said that, the only thing I'm not keen on about LT is that I don't find the forums particularly user friendly; so in that respect GR is easier, but for listing books I prefer LT, although I don't want to list my books again on another site. But GR is fun to dip in and out of from time to time.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri February 8th, 2013, 3:23 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Just a further comment on the Librarything vs. Goodreads discussion.
It's occurred to me that each of the two sites has a different focus, which is reflected in their respective names and functional strengths.

LibraryThing is more focused on users cataloguing their actual libraries, ie. the books they own. (You can create folders or tags to denote books you've read but don't own, but that is more a secondary development.) Of course, all the ratings, reviews and discussions that flow from that are part of the site as well, but it's structured around the books you have in your library and the functionality of adding book details, editions, covers and so on is very strong.

Goodreads is more focused on the books that users have read or plan to read. You can add a note to say whether you own the book or not, but that's not the main structural feature. I find it a lot harder to find or add the exact edition of a book I have and its cover and other aspects. But the discussion and groups are a lot stronger.[/quote]

I don't have trouble added editions onto Goodreads but I am a librarian there, which makes adding easier. GR's goal is to include all known editions and covers of a book.

There's also more options for books you own than to just add a note. There's an option in the advanced options of your review to tick a box for "I own this copy". Then under your shelves you can click "books I own" to see all your owned books. This feature was more for the book swap which has now been retired but the "own" feature still functions for personal use. And of course you can add a custom shelf (tag) for books you own.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun February 10th, 2013, 3:09 pm

I had some problems on GR. Some people I ran into(not all) seemed to think it was a lot more important than it really is. It's just one of so many sites for readers! Also, I'm not familiar with LT. What is it?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun February 10th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Library Thing is a book cataloguing site - you can list books, group them by genre, log when you read them, rate and review them, and there are discussion groups if you want to join any. You can also friend people like you do on Facebook and send messages to them if you wish.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”