Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reviews are for readers, right?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed January 11th, 2012, 3:56 am

[quote=""annis""]I thought it a sign of life and times on Amazon that when I broke into superlatives over Robert Lyndon's Hawk Quest on the Amazon HF forum I felt it necessary to add a disclaimer that I didn't know the author from a bar of soap :) [/quote]

Heh! Know what you mean. Amazon threads now are a scary place to be.

@Rebecca - you don't have to own a Kindle to read books in that format. Before you buy Laura's book on Smashwords, just download the Kindle app from Amazon onto your PC/Mac. Then buy the book, and read it onscreen. It's quite easy to do (I did it, so it must be!)
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Wed January 11th, 2012, 9:51 am

[quote=""rebecca""]Bec :) PS Laura-I just checked out your book and read the reviews on it and it does interest me, but unfortunately I don't own a kindle. Will your books be published in paperback?[/quote]

Sorry, but it's just too expensive to publish in paperback.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Wed January 11th, 2012, 10:53 am

[quote=""lauragill""]Sorry, but it's just too expensive to publish in paperback.[/quote]

Even with CreateSpace? I know it will always mean the print version is a bit pricey for readers but I thought there were affordable options for authors.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed January 11th, 2012, 4:37 pm

This is a fascinating thread. For years, I've relied heavily on reviews by amazon to make purchases. Now I understand why some books that are 5 stars were crap to me. Since I found this forum and Goodreads, I rely more them than amazon. However, I think it is difficult sometimes because reading is so subjective and what I love may seem like a drag to others. I've found on here even that there are certain authors or books most people love and I've just found mediocre. I think the best way to know whether to buy a book or not is to "download a free sample" or "look inside."

If only we could do that with husbands? Hehe can I have a free sample first? Sorry, I'm in a mood!
Brenna

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Wed January 11th, 2012, 7:06 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Even with CreateSpace? I know it will always mean the print version is a bit pricey for readers but I thought there were affordable options for authors.[/quote]

I have tried CreateSpace, but can't seem to master the format and all, and can't really afford to have anyone do it for me.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 11th, 2012, 7:15 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]This is a fascinating thread. For years, I've relied heavily on reviews by amazon to make purchases. Now I understand why some books that are 5 stars were crap to me. Since I found this forum and Goodreads, I rely more them than amazon. However, I think it is difficult sometimes because reading is so subjective and what I love may seem like a drag to others. I've found on here even that there are certain authors or books most people love and I've just found mediocre. I think the best way to know whether to buy a book or not is to "download a free sample" or "look inside."

If only we could do that with husbands? Hehe can I have a free sample first? Sorry, I'm in a mood![/quote]

That is going to happen, even if we agreed 99% on books we loved, there's still going to be that one WTF was everyone else reading moment. That's life.

The comments are getting lively... ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu January 12th, 2012, 1:01 am

Now that the Kindle has lowered its price I am seriously thinking of buying one(thanks parthianbow for your suggestions) . My father left me a little bit of money and as he loved books, I think he'd approve if I spent a small amount on a kindle :p . When I get it I will download your books Laura :) . I read the tease chapters and enjoyed it, so I will look forward to reading the books.

When it comes to those who love books it is rather strange that what one reader may like another may loathe. A case in point is 'The Other Boleyn Girl' I loved it while others quite literally hate it. But I also don't give up on an author if I don't like one book....Another case is Kate Morton though I didn't really like 'Distant Hours' I have bought 'The Forgotten Garden' but I have bought that because of the commentary on this site.

But getting back to Misfits premise I do hope that authors who cannot be objective will not review books and instead leave it to the readers to write honest and fair reports on the yay's and nay's of what they have read.

Bec :)

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Thu January 12th, 2012, 2:41 am

Oh, do get a Kindle, Bec. I got the $99 Kindle Touch for Christmas, and now read everything on it. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu January 12th, 2012, 4:12 pm

[quote=""lauragill""]The reviews on my books are authentic, too. None of my family or friends has read anything of mine. :( [/quote]

My husband doesn't read fiction and would never read me if he didn't copy edit my stuff before I send it out to markets, agents, etc. It's my secret way of making sure he knows what I do for a living. ;)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu January 12th, 2012, 9:40 pm

[quote=""lauragill""]The reviews on my books are authentic, too. None of my family or friends has read anything of mine. :( [/quote]

My family and some of my friends read my work but they don't review anything, ever.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”