Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The S-word, male vs. female authors

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu March 15th, 2012, 6:01 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Reminds me of when my (then) 6-year old daughter tried to flip me the bird using her index finger. I burst out laughing and she almost burst into tears. I corrected her technique, taught her several cultural variations, and warned her she should never use any of them with an adult. I don't think she's used it since (at least not with me!)[/quote]

There are cultural variations? Apparently my education is incomplete.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu March 15th, 2012, 8:38 pm

In Europe, the variation is the victory sign turned backwards. My Pakistani friends put the thumb and forefinger together and demonstrate the action with the forefinger of the opposite hand. But not around me, of course. ;)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu March 15th, 2012, 10:56 pm

I've certainly heard heifer used as an insult for women, so can see how a kid hearing it would class it with b*tch or the like. But that IS kind of adorable.

Faith, am I horribly jaded? My first thought was "Oh yes she has" ... It is too cool you gave her the full education along with the prohibition, though. I just remember my response to knowledge (especially anything which seemed "forbidden" even if not truly catastrophic): share it early, share it often, holler for credit when the other kids on the playground share it too ... :)

MLE, I'm laughing pretty happily here at the association with The S Word - it does make logical sense. boswellbaxter, maybe this thread just got dirtier! ;)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 16th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Yep I'd say heifer was up there with the b word as being derogatory to women under some circumstances. Rather sweet in the context used here though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri March 16th, 2012, 3:03 pm

[quote=""MLE""]In Europe, the variation is the victory sign turned backwards. My Pakistani friends put the thumb and forefinger together and demonstrate the action with the forefinger of the opposite hand. But not around me, of course. ;) [/quote]

There's also biting your thumb and the more vigorous clenched fist raised in front of the body and crossed at the elbow with the other arm. And DL...I'm sure she's used it...left out the sarcastic emoticon! :rolleyes:
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Sat March 17th, 2012, 12:59 am

Often when I start a new book I will turn to a random page well along in the story to get a taste of how things develop. I started a new book last night which came very close to becoming a non-starter. The first three sentences on page 208.

"once we started we did not stop.Martha and I f****d on Sundays, we f-d in the lodging and behind a barrel. in daylight in the woods, in the dark in the woods, we were the beast with two backs in the fields, and flat on top of each other in the bakery. . ."

The author is male. The book is Odo's Hanging, about the Bayeux tapestry. It was highly recommended and I am very interested in anything on that topic. So I started at the beginning. It is better, and more interesting than my sampling would indicate.

But there IS a difference.

I remember first realizing that difference in HS reading Faulkner's Light in August--some passage, after a midnight outdoor tryst, where the MC's thoughts were something along the lines of he was going to leave because he realized there was nothing between his body and the cold damp grass but a thin slip of a girl . . .
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat March 17th, 2012, 3:01 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]You all are cracking me up. I used to teach 3rd grade and one day two girls asked to speak to me privately. They said someone called another girl the worst thing ever. Blushing like little tomatoes, they FINALLY told me this terrible, earth-shattering swear word. Heifer. Ha! I gave them a hug and almost burst trying not to laugh at the sweeties.[/quote]

Hmm... I remember a friend telling me about a teacher friend who went with some inner city kids to look around a farm. When later she was asking the children what they'd most enjoyed one child said that they'd liked the 'little fuckers' the best. The teacher questioned this and the child replied 'The farmer called them little 'heifers' but we knew what he meant! So perhaps the 'heifer' actually meant 'effer' ;)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”