Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sara Palin Common Sense Stupidity

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
chuck
Bibliophile

Sara Palin Common Sense Stupidity

Post by chuck » Thu November 18th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Here we go again SP'S new book "America By Heart" will be released next week.....Her last book "Going Rogue" sold in the millions??????....She has hired another Ghostwriter ....Her PR states...she discusses Levi Johnston, bashes American Idol...Huh?......Deep and profound Stuff?????....Hey Sara what about your own daughter Bristol (Not a dancer) involved in a Talent Show.....I don't understand the appeal to buy her books......To me it's just more redundant right wing fodder.....She can't write/speak and yet she thinks she is a REAL author ....Good Grief......Currently boycotting her "Alaska" reality series....The Americans who buy her and listen to her rubbish....is beyond comprehension.....Excuse my rant and my remarks are only in my humble opinion.....BTW please explain today's publishers....I guess it's about money....and Target Marketing....

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu November 18th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I am in complete agreement. I don't care if she wants to write books, do TV, or spin on her head- it's a free country, after all (or so they keep reminding us). But her claim to be competent enough to lead the nation is not only deluded, it's dangerous. She's proven herself to be ignorant, narcissistic, corrupt, and basically out for her own advantage.

Her record as Alaska's governor alone is abysmal, not to mention she left before finishing out her term so she could cash in on her celebrity status. Imagine what she would do if she were handed the presidency :eek:
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Here...Here...

Post by chuck » Thu November 18th, 2010, 7:01 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]I am in complete agreement. I don't care if she wants to write books, do TV, or spin on her head- it's a free country, after all (or so they keep reminding us). But her claim to be competent enough to lead the nation is not only deluded, it's dangerous. She's proven herself to be ignorant, narcissistic, corrupt, and basically out for her own advantage.

Her record as Alaska's governor alone is abysmal, not to mention she left before finishing out her term so she could cash in on her celebrity status. Imagine what she would do if she were handed the presidency :eek: [/quote]

Only thing scarier is a Palin/Gingrich or Palin/Beck ticket....Then again Obama would win in a slide....CW keep up the good work....I"m reader not a writer...I'm so impressed, admire all of you HFO authors....cliche' warning.... Who always "Keep It Real"...Continued Good Luck with all your writing endeavors
Last edited by chuck on Thu November 18th, 2010, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu November 18th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Chuck it seems like you are against half the country. She has appeal for people for a reason, not because of herself, but because she's easy to relate to for half of the American population. It's not as simple as left vs right, or democrat vs republican. If it were that simple, she wouldn't be getting press and book deals.

American Idol is a sham. Yes there are talented people involved but it promotes the myth that record labels are actively seeking new talent to develop.

Dismissing Sarah Palin as a factor in politics is a dangerous thing. Do not underestimate the opposition.

By the way, Bristol is an adult. Her parents are no longer responsible for her decisions.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu November 18th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Sorry....I don't buy any of Palin's one liners...I really hope she runs for President...But I don't think she will get past the primaries.....Enough said....

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu November 18th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I would never post anything with my personal opinion on liberal icons that I know would offend half the members of the board. It is less discussion than venting for no purpose that I can see that has anything to do with historical fiction.

C.W., am I to take it you prefer to have only readers who agree with your politics?

Are there no political forums where people can rant on these topics to their heart's content?

The only thing I always notice when politics come up is that the run of the mill conservative forum member is more tolerant, or at any rate more considerate.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu November 18th, 2010, 10:30 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I would never post anything with my personal opinion on liberal icons that I know would offend half the members of the board. It is less discussion than venting for no purpose that I can see that has anything to do with historical fiction.[/quote]

I thought that the debate area of the board was for exactly that - discussion of controversial topics that have nothing to do with HF. Looking back, we've discussed teenage pregnancy, sexism, feminism, Obama's policies, religion and Octomom - all subjects which it is difficult to talk about without offending someone. I can't honestly see why opinions, even strong ones, for and against Palin should be a taboo subject.

ETA: maybe the thread title should be more neutral though. Or is it? Not sure how it is meant.
Last edited by Miss Moppet on Thu November 18th, 2010, 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu November 18th, 2010, 10:35 pm

I really don't like discussing controversial issues such as politics, global warming, etc. etc. but don't have a problem with a designated thread for that here on the forum for other members who wish to do so. It's easy enough for me to ignore if I don't wish to participate. And if I do open the thread, I realize I am doing so at my own risk!

ETA: I suspect many of the forum members feel as I do, since it seems like most don't participate in discussions of the really hot-button topics.....
Last edited by Michy on Thu November 18th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu November 18th, 2010, 11:02 pm

I thought this was the Debate thread?....

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu November 18th, 2010, 11:27 pm

I suppose members may debate as they please. But every now and then, it is useful to see how a given post or topic is coming across. And I stand by my statement that you never see the conservative members of the forum sniping at liberal politicians.

By the way, as one who likes to look at demographics, it may interest HF writers and would-be writers that HF readers tend to be more conservative, demographically, than sci-fi or contemporary readers. And there are a lot of conservative readers out there-- which is why books of conservative politicians and pundits sell so well.

But if you aren't interested in any of those people buying or reading your books -- go ahead and vent. The other half of the readers are on the other side, and surely you can make a go with half the potential readership.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”