Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holy Crap! Sarah Palin to be McCain's VP pick

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Holy Crap! Sarah Palin to be McCain's VP pick

Post by Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Just read it on cnn! I can't believe it. :eek: I have to readup about her cause I know nothing about her.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Dani
Scribbler

Post by Dani » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:17 pm

LOL i just said the same thing i was like WHO???

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Yeah, I was reading about her n stuff. She plays hockey, how cool is that :D Anyway, seems like McCain is reaching out to those scorned women voters.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:28 pm

I've just gotten a lot more interested in this election! Top executive level politicians generally appeal to me more than Senate/House politicians, and of course there's such a strong chance of seeing the first female VP now! Brilliant move, McCain camp!

I'm looking forward to the media blitz - both on cable and in magazines. The basic facts: she hunts and fishes (I grew up doing the same so I identify with that!), she's conservative and has a strong faith base, she's pro-life, she's young at 44, she's strong-minded and so on from what is being broadcast at this point.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:38 pm

I'll stick with Barack Obama. At least with Democrats I don't feel like my civil rights are being taken away like the Republicans want. I'm sure if it were up to them all of my rights would be taken away and I'd be branded like Hester Prynne. Only probably in a more physical way.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Her husband is a union worker
She was a PTA mom
She is a member of the NRA
She took on coruption in her state
Her parents worked at a local elem school

If they wanted to attract the blue collar people aka average joe I think they may have done it.

Michelle2
Scribbler

Post by Michelle2 » Fri August 29th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Not this blue collar person! :)

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri August 29th, 2008, 10:11 pm

Quite a personal résumé. Wonder Woman, a potential Iron Lady, or both?

An interesting choice for those of us who view politics as a spectator blood sport third only to arguments in academia and those over favorite authors, artists, dancers, and singers

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat August 30th, 2008, 2:40 am

She is anti choice and a creationist (and belives it should be taught in schools). She is a former beauty queen, was a mayor of a town of 8000 people....I dunno, if McCain wanted a woman VP to pick up on Hilary's fans, I think he is barking up the wrong tree. I live in his state, and I can think off the top of my head five women republican legislators from AZ who would have excellent qualifications for the job. Why he picked this one, who reminds me of Harriet Miers (tho prettier) is beyond me.

I will say that if I had any doubts about Obama, they were blown away by his speech last night.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat August 30th, 2008, 5:31 am

I was rather shocked by who McCain picked. I think in the long view, it might be a mistake -- she hasn't any experience with Washington politics, and she's anti-enviroment (thinks that polar bears ought to be taken off of the endangered species list, and that drilling should be allowed in protected preserves), pro-life, and doesn't seem to have any connections at the government level. If McCain does get in, it's going to be a very rude awakening for her.

I did watch all of Obama's speech last night, and if he can follow through with his arguments, then thank god. We need a president who actually gives a damn about the middle class and the working poor.

But to me, the important races are going to be those for congress -- if the same people who kept ok'ing Bush get back in, things aren't going to change much.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”