Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So what do you all think about the Octuplet Births?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri February 6th, 2009, 10:30 pm

I think it's rather appalling. To have octuplets without any real means of raising them is completely irresponsible. Especially when she already has very small children already at home. I know that we need to be a society where children, the elderly and disabled should be cared for to the best of society's ability, but I also happen to think that a certain amount of responsibilty should be there on those who recieve such help too. I know I'm not making a lot of sense, but this story just bothers the hell out of me.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat February 7th, 2009, 10:35 am

IMHO the doctors who started the process need to be investigated. To implant that many embryos is irresponsible, they know the risks. For them to take her through the process when she already has the other children is irresponsible. For them to take her through the process when she is living off the state already is irresponsible. Unless she hoodwinked them and is perhaps giving them a slice of the cake, then they are still irresponsible.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 7th, 2009, 11:42 am

Pat, according to yesterday's news reports an investigation into the medical ethics of this has begun.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat February 7th, 2009, 3:27 pm

It will be interesting how this all plays out. And the interview yesterday just proves my point...the woman is a moron.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:29 pm

I know a couple who used in-vitro and had three embryos implanted. They got one child.

It is entirely possible that they thought a maximum of two would survive in this case.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 8th, 2009, 1:02 am

Interesting blog post I just came across.

**edited to correct wrong link***
Last edited by Misfit on Sun February 8th, 2009, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun February 8th, 2009, 1:10 am

The link brings us back to HF. I know we are interestin in all but :p
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 8th, 2009, 2:24 am

[quote=""Divia""]The link brings us back to HF. I know we are interestin in all but :p [/quote]

Oops. You think maybe I copied the wrong web address??? :p :o :D :) ;)

Try this. Sorry, long day :o

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon February 9th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Octuplets Mom Identifies Clinic That Helped

"Without identifying the doctor, the Medical Board of California said last week it was looking into the matter to see if there was a "violation of the standard of care" for implanting so many embryos."

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 11th, 2009, 2:45 am

Well, isn't this surprising?
She also told NBC that she does not intend to go on welfare, though her publicist confirmed Monday that Suleman already receives food stamps and child disability payments to help feed and care for her six other children.

Suleman's publicist Mike Furtney said she receives $490 a month in food stamps. Furtney said Suleman did not want to disclose the nature of her children's disabilities or the nature of those payments.

"In her view these are just payments made for people with legitimate needs and are not, in her view, welfare," Furtney said. "She just believes that there are programs for people with needs and she and her children qualify for some of them."

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”