Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So what do you all think about the Octuplet Births?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

So what do you all think about the Octuplet Births?

Post by Misfit » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 11:46 pm

I recall hearing about it last week and thinking how amazing is that, but then the news coming out over the weekend is telling a different picture. The mother already had eight kids ages seven and under, doesn't appear to be employed or married and lives with her parents - said parents having serious financial difficulties.

Who knows if this woman even has medical insurance, let alone if she does how much insurance will not pay? Will the public get stuck? What about a doctor who implants that many embryos, especially in a woman with that many kids already? Especially knowing that babies of multiple births have much higher risks of birth defects and other medical problems, sometimes lifelong.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 11:56 pm

I think since she wanted the damn kids so bad she can pay for them. And I dont think she should get an ounce of help or government assistance. She already has 6 at home.

I think she should also be spayed.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 11:58 pm

Well, she's hired herself a publicist and is considering book and movie deals. Hopefully for the kids' sake, she'll get enough to hire someone to help her tend them, because it sounds as if her mother's not going to be a babysitter.

She sounds grossly irresponsible to me--it's one thing to get pregnant and choose not to abort, quite another to choose to be artificially inseminated when one already has six small children with no visible means of support.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 12:17 am

Agreed.

This is why some people should be spayed, and she is one of them. I wonder if she'll try this again.

And who the hell gave her the drugs for her to do this? she couldnt have done this on her own.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 12:32 am

[quote=""Divia""]And who the hell gave her the drugs for her to do this? she couldnt have done this on her own.[/quote]

There was quite a lively debate going on today at one of the local radio shows. They were debating the ethics of a doctor going through with implanting a woman with so many embryos, especially considering her financial and home situations.

It wouldn't hurt for the ADA to put some guidelines aside to avoid these situations in the future. Even if she does get endorsements and earns enough to avoid going on the public dole the chances of one or more of these kids having permanent birth defects is very very high. Did you look at the estimates of the hospital bill? Maybe if you have a nice cushy government job you might have good enough insurance to cover most of it, but when you're unemployed? WTF were these people thinking?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 12:52 am

I thought it was 6 kids not 8 that she already have, making it for a grand total of 14 now. And I think it's ridiculous whoever gave her the fertility drugs and embyros.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 1:06 am

This is a perfect example of how reproductive freedoms go both ways!! Should she have done it? From the information available now, my opinion is NO. But she does have the right to it!

And considering how she's shopping for book and TV deals I have a sick feeling that she just might have had this in mind in the first place. I mean who in her position does something so stupid?? The whole situation is just weird!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 1:37 am

[quote=""LCW""] And considering how she's shopping for book and TV deals I have a sick feeling that she just might have had this in mind in the first place. I mean who in her position does something so stupid?? The whole situation is just weird![/quote]

I think you're right. With the success of some of the shows on TV -TLC's Jon and Kate plus 8 and the show with the Dugger family who have 18 kids (but as far as I know they did not use fertility treatments) maybe she figured, why not? I think it's disgusting, irresponsible and immoral to bring that many kids into the world in the way that she did with apparently no means to support them. I also agree that she should not get a dime of government support - she made this mess, let her figure out a way to make it work. And as much as I hate the thought of these kids suffering, it's not right to stick the rest of us with the tab for their birth and care.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 2:15 am

If you cant support your kids then you shouldnt breed like a cat in heat. Humans weren't made to have litters, and thats what she has now.

I watch the Duggers and no they havent used drugs. THey are ultra religious though. However, they are not on any assistance. It was said that they pay their way through rental properties that they own. Plus they don't buy name brand clothes and often go to the salvation army for clothes/shoes.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 3:27 am

Sorry, but I cannot resist thinking of James Bond and Octopussy.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”