Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Death of Kings

annis
Bibliomaniac

Death of Kings

Post by annis » Wed May 25th, 2011, 8:34 am

Just noticed that the next book in the Saxon Chronicles now has a title and release date. Death of Kings is due out in both the UK and the US October this year.

There's an extract on Bernard Cornwell's website for those wanting a taster:
http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cf ... &BookId=52

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Wed May 25th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Excellent. Time to rejoin the shield wall :)

Rissa
Scribbler

Post by Rissa » Sat June 25th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Apparently the release date for the US has changed.
It now says on Bernard Cornwell's homepage:

Coming to the UK in September of 2011
Coming to the US in January of 2012

Germans will most likely have to wait about half a year longer until we get our translated versions. And as I already own the first five books on German I'll wait for the sixth one as well.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat June 25th, 2011, 6:54 pm

The revised issue dates follow the usual pattern- i was a bit surprised when I saw the US and UK dates were the same because BC's novels usually come out a few months later in the States. Thanks for the update.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue October 23rd, 2012, 3:09 pm

I bought and read this book already and I have to admit that it doesn't live up to the usual excitement of the previous books. There's no huge battle. Alfred, of course, dies and Edward is just as wishy-washy about the Danes as his father. I'm sorry but if I were Uhtred I'd have bailed, commitment or no. :p Unfortunately there are no major battles (see previous statement about Edward's wishy-washiness) so for me the whole story was a bit lacklustre. And now Cornwell seems to be stretching things out a bit far. I'd definitely like to read about Uhtred reclaiming his home, but getting there seems to be a dragging affair.

Wolfshead
Scribbler

Post by Wolfshead » Tue October 23rd, 2012, 6:38 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]I bought and read this book already and I have to admit that it doesn't live up to the usual excitement of the previous books. There's no huge battle. Alfred, of course, dies and Edward is just as wishy-washy about the Danes as his father. I'm sorry but if I were Uhtred I'd have bailed, commitment or no. :p Unfortunately there are no major battles (see previous statement about Edward's wishy-washiness) so for me the whole story was a bit lacklustre. And now Cornwell seems to be stretching things out a bit far. I'd definitely like to read about Uhtred reclaiming his home, but getting there seems to be a dragging affair.[/quote]

I agree with your points. I've been waiting on Uhtred reclaiming his home for years now! Time he did the job.

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Wed October 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm

I liked Death of Kings least so far. I loved the first few books, but the farther the series went, the less I bought into the Alfred portrayal. So by the time of his death, I'm just left with "really didn't do him justice". At all. IMO. I'm ready for him to wrap up this series, too.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu November 1st, 2012, 8:11 pm

I haven't been as impressed with this series as with some of Bernard Cornwell's others (the early Sharpe series in particular). I've got as far as Sword Song, and liked Lords of the North best so far. I haven't found the portrayal of Alfred at all convincing, I'm afraid.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Return to “Bernard Cornwell”