Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Warlord Chronicles

Andrew LiVecchi

The Warlord Chronicles

Post by Andrew LiVecchi » Tue September 28th, 2010, 8:49 pm

-----------------------
Last edited by Andrew LiVecchi on Tue May 28th, 2013, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Fri March 11th, 2011, 1:35 am

I loved the trilogy. Actually it was outstanding and it's easy to see why B.Cornwell described it as his favourite work. Compared to some of his other books, the detail and research he poured into it is obvious. I always tended to shy away from books about Arthur but this is a brilliant read. Highly recommended. :)

wolverine

Post by wolverine » Thu March 17th, 2011, 5:06 pm

[quote=""BrianPK""]I loved the trilogy. Actually it was outstanding and it's easy to see why B.Cornwell described it as his favourite work. Compared to some of his other books, the detail and research he poured into it is obvious. I always tended to shy away from books about Arthur but this is a brilliant read. Highly recommended. :) [/quote]

I would agree that this is better than any of his other works that I have read. The story has a very real feeling that I enjoy. The only criticism I have, and this is consistent of books by Cornwell, is that an overabundance of his characters seem to have modern anachronistic personalities. It seems like all of his main characters share their morals and opinions with people in the 21st century, not those of their time period. And it almost seems like it is done just to make sure they are likeable for the reader.

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Fri March 18th, 2011, 12:13 am

[quote=""wolverine""]I would agree that this is better than any of his other works that I have read. The story has a very real feeling that I enjoy. The only criticism I have, and this is consistent of books by Cornwell, is that an overabundance of his characters seem to have modern anachronistic personalities. It seems like all of his main characters share their morals and opinions with people in the 21st century, not those of their time period. And it almost seems like it is done just to make sure they are likeable for the reader.[/quote]

You make an interesting point but what can an author do? In order to enjoy historical fiction I presume we have to feel empathy(at least I do) with the principal characters.From my knowledge of history, I think everybody of power and influence( including all our heroes of the past) was involved in appalling savagery/ruthlessness to get his/her way and are in fact deeply unsympathetic characters if judged from our time.We are, however, told that we can only judge people in their own time.I once read that Richard III's murder of the child princes in the tower was a very normal act for it's time and his usual subsequent demonization is very unfair. But I feel that it would be a great feat to make him an appealing character in an historical fiction novel (although I once read a first class novel called Under the Hog which did so but blamed others for the actual murders). So I suppose an author deliberately glosses over certain aspects of his "hero" in order that we feel comfortable with him/her and are transported to the age in question and enjoy the story all the more.
BTW welcome to the forum even though I'm only a recent blow-in myself. :)
Last edited by BrianPK on Fri March 18th, 2011, 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri March 18th, 2011, 12:27 am

Brian, if you want a novel on Richard III, try Sharon Kay Penman's the Sunne in Splendour. I'm sure there is a thread around the forum, it's becoming something of an HF classic.

Another take is Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time.

Richard III novels, both pro and con, are rather plentiful.

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Fri March 18th, 2011, 12:45 am

Thanks MLE :) The Sunne in Splendour sounds very interesting and you have whetted my appetite for a good read on this subject.. I'll look it up in the near future. Actually,it was Patrick Carleton's Under the Hog which sparked my life long interest in historical fiction and which accounts for about two totally enjoyable and relaxing hours each night.

M'lady
Scribbler

Post by M'lady » Wed May 4th, 2011, 8:19 pm

I've been playing with the idea of getting these books, does it play a lot of the magical myth of Arthur or does it stick to a sensible "what could have really happened" storyline. Apart from Harry Potter I haven't got much time for wizards and magic in books lol.

Also I disagree that he gives his characters 21st century traits. To me Uhtred, in his Saxon series, is unlikeable and real to his time (also another character I'd like to jump in and slap :D ). Although he's starting to calm down now.

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Wed May 4th, 2011, 9:21 pm

My instant reaction to your post is that if you didn't like Uhtred then you won't like The Warlord but I could be totally wrong. Conversely I'd be surprised if someone could enjoy one and then fail to enjoy the other but I'm possibly wrong there also. I thoroughly enjoyed both but The Warlord is a far richer,much more thoughtful and detailed read. It is in fact the authors own personal favourite and compared to Uhtred's adventures, B. Cornwell poured his heart and soul into Arthur and you read it in the pages.Enjoyable as they are, the Saxon Chronicles are a "boys own" comic without the pictures,if you get my meaning but I again stress I loved them for all that and am eagerly awaiting the next instalment.
There's some "magic" in the Warlord but it's very believable and nothing at all like Harry Potter imo .The time period is accurately placed after the collapse of Roman Britain during the chaos when the Anglo -Saxons invade and attempt to conquer the Celtic peoples of Britain . I highly recommend it.
Last edited by BrianPK on Wed May 4th, 2011, 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue December 4th, 2012, 8:55 pm

I've only read The Winter King, so it's time to start again. At the same time as the Pendragon's Banner trilogy.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Bernard Cornwell”