Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Great action writer

Calgal
Scribbler

Great action writer

Post by Calgal » Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:46 pm

I am a huge Bernard Cornwell fan. I first encountered him on TV when Masterpiece Theater did the Sharpe series, what, about twenty years ago? Stellar.

Over the years I have read the Sharpe books, constantly amazed how convincingly he handles battle.

Later, I read the Grail Quest series, where he did a fine job on an earlier time period.

His Stonehenge, 2000 B.C. is equally convincing.

He creates great villains, believable Dickensian characters who complicate already difficult situations for his heroes. His heroines, alas, are cardboard, mere foils, but the authentic-seeming adventure more than makes up for this.

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Post by Grasshopper » Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:56 pm

I'm more of a fan of his character development. I tend to skim through the hot and heavy of his battles as in most books I read. I still really like his books, regardless.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Mon September 1st, 2008, 5:25 am

He's my favourite author for both of those reasons. :)

Cuchulainn
Reader

Post by Cuchulainn » Mon September 1st, 2008, 5:35 am

Cornwell can do no wrong.

I can't think that anyone would disagree that he is one of the top historical fiction writers out there.

Sharpe is his best, followed by the Grail Quest. Then the Saxon series followed by the Arthur Series. The Starbuck Chronicles are great, but I'm not all that into the subject matter, so those novels rank low on my list.

no one ever talks about "Gallows Thief" despite the fact that it is Cornwell at his best: it's a story told in the nineteenth century, not about the ninenteenth century.

By the way, good to see you found this site Alaric.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon September 1st, 2008, 11:36 am

Gallow's Thief is my absolute favourite Cornwell to date Cuchullain. I couldn't put that one down. I enjoy Sharpe, and the Harlequin series. The Uhtred ones are not half bad either. I wall-banged Stone Henge and couldn't get into the Arthur ones - a case of not believing in the worlds created and not actually caring - especially with Stone Henge. But Gallow's Thief. 10 out of 10.
Hasn't he written one with his wife too? My dh got hold of it I think but wasn't keen.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Mon September 1st, 2008, 12:20 pm

He wrote A Crowning Mercy, Fallen Angels and Coat of Arms with his wife, yeah.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue September 16th, 2008, 8:16 am

BC has a gift for writing action, definitely.

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Tue September 16th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I arrived late in life to the Bernard Cornwell fan club, but he is now a real favorite and I agree with all that's been said so far. I especially like Cornwell's supporting casts. I just read the Saxon series, and love the characters that are Uhtred's friends: Leofric, Pyrlig, Steapa, Beocca the priest. Even his enemies in some ways are to be enjoyed: Guthred who betrays him, Erik who fought him and then asked a favor, and of course King Alfred who constantly frustrates Uhtred and also me, the reader.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed September 17th, 2008, 1:32 am

BC..I've been reading him since the 80's....I was a bit bored with "Stonehenge"...."Redcoat" is one of my favorites.... "Gallows Thief" is brilliant......If you haven't checked out his website....It's must for BC fans....Can't wait for "Azincourt" .......
Last edited by chuck on Wed September 17th, 2008, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 6:29 pm

"Azincourt" is out! Couldn't wait, so I've ordered a copy from British online bookstore, Book Depository

Return to “Bernard Cornwell”