Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Stonehenge

David Ross Erickson
Scribbler

Post by David Ross Erickson » Fri April 1st, 2011, 1:07 pm

Okay, now I see what you all mean. I thought the book started out great. Loved the characters Camaban and the 2 brothers. Nice setup. But about halfway through Cornwell loses it when he begins focusing on long descriptions of transporting stones. I find myself picking this one up less and less at reading time.

I've seen some great documentaries about the construction of Stonehenge. But when it comes to fiction, I guess I'm more interested in people than stones.

Cuchulainn
Reader

Post by Cuchulainn » Sat April 2nd, 2011, 7:46 pm

[quote=""David Ross Erickson""]But when it comes to fiction, I guess I'm more interested in people than stones.[/quote]

I thought Cornwell's Stonehenge was a very good book - but Cornwell can do very little wrong in my eyes.

One of the better portrayals of the building of Stonehenge is in Rutherfurd's Sarum, and the strenght of it is the characters, who are very compelling.

David Ross Erickson
Scribbler

Post by David Ross Erickson » Tue April 5th, 2011, 1:18 pm

I've looked at Rutherford a number of times, but have never pulled the trigger.

But I haven't abandoned Stonehenge yet. It's just further down my reading priority list now -- especially since I just picked up "Given Up for Dead: America's Heroic Stand on Wake Island." It's a gripping page-turner (NF) and everything else will have to wait til I'm done with it now.

Return to “Bernard Cornwell”