Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

rex icelingas

Postby rex icelingas » Thu July 9th, 2009, 8:42 am

Not normally a period i read but im a great fan of Cornwell`s work
I found the story fascinating and wondered if anyone else had any comments for this work or fancied a sequel?

Compulsive Reader

Postby Carla » Thu July 9th, 2009, 10:41 am

I read Stonehenge a good while back now. What I remember best is the description of how the stones were transported and erected. I thought that was really good. It seemed slower than his other books to me, as if for some reason it was taking a lot more pages than usual to cover the story. That might be because it covers a lifetime (can't remember the details, but it must be 30 or 40 years or so).
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Postby stu1883 » Fri July 10th, 2009, 4:05 am

I was very impressed with the technical and historical details but found the actual story to be a bit weak. Not one of his best, if you ask me.

Postby EC2 » Fri July 10th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Not my favourite Cornwell. It's a while since I read it, but from what I recall it was a bit like one of those repetitive dreams where you are running forever and still never find the way out. I do enjoy Bernard Cornwell as a novelist, but this is probably the least appealing of the ones I've read.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

Postby chuck » Sat July 11th, 2009, 2:11 am

"Stonehenge"....I read it.... I remember the pacing was so slow....Interesting subject....but the story was definitely off kilter....for me anyway

Postby annis » Sat July 11th, 2009, 5:12 am

Have to agree- altthough the subject is interesting and I'm a Bernard Cornwell fan, I didn't think it one of BC's best. I preferred Cecelia Holland's novel about Stonehenge, "Pillars of the Sky"

Postby Ash » Sat July 11th, 2009, 8:18 pm

I thought it was quite good - not my favorite (that would go to his Arthur series) but still well written and well imagined.

This charming manc

Postby This charming manc » Fri September 11th, 2009, 12:07 am

To my mind the worst of his books I can defintley leave it

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Fri September 11th, 2009, 9:22 am

I haven't read many others of his (yet) apart from the Arthurian trilogy but this one was not great for me at all. Very slow and dull in parts.

David Ross Erickson

Postby David Ross Erickson » Fri March 11th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Ouch! I guess I should have looked here first, because I just started this one. I'm not a huge Cornwell fan, but the subject matter drew me in.

Return to “Bernard Cornwell”