Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Books about Catherine the Great

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat December 26th, 2009, 6:09 am

[quote=""Divia""]is that fiction?[/quote]

Nonfiction: "Catherine the Great: Love, Sex, and Power" by Virginia Rounding. It's one of my books I'll eventually get through BF.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 26th, 2009, 12:32 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Me. Me. I'll buddy read it. :)

I was told my book was shipped, so we'll see when it arrives.

I dont mind sex in my books. Plus she was a sexual woman so it only seems natural.[/quote]

Cool. I just finished up her other book The Quickenberry Tree and really really liked it so I'm ready for more.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat December 26th, 2009, 3:18 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Nonfiction: "Catherine the Great: Love, Sex, and Power" by Virginia Rounding. It's one of my books I'll eventually get through BF.

SM[/quote]

I'm not really into the whole nonfiction thing with Catherine. I just want to read fiction.

[quote=""Misfit""]Cool. I just finished up her other book The Quickenberry Tree and really really liked it so I'm ready for more.[/quote]
Rockin. We'll chat. :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat December 26th, 2009, 6:09 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Not sure how quick I'll get to it. I have a lot of holds at the library for new books due in Jan/Feb. My luck is they'll all land at once.

Did Tely catch this thread? I know Russia is her bag as well.[/quote]

Nope, at least until you pointed me to it. I think I have this one somewhere in the house (everything is at the appalling stage at the moment).

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat December 26th, 2009, 6:35 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Nope, at least until you pointed me to it. I think I have this one somewhere in the house (everything is at the appalling stage at the moment).[/quote]

Its the holidays. That is to be expected. :)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun December 27th, 2009, 4:38 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Nonfiction: "Catherine the Great: Love, Sex, and Power" by Virginia Rounding. It's one of my books I'll eventually get through BF.

SM[/quote]

Yep, that's the one. It looked interesting. And I decided I needed read about her.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun December 27th, 2009, 8:51 am

[quote=""Divia""]

I dont mind sex in my books. Plus she was a sexual woman so it only seems natural.[/quote]

It's not that I dont like sex in a book. I love sex scenes. But:

1. If I open a book randomly and that is what I get, I suspect it's going to be a huge lot of it.
The other day I browsed a book at the book store about some arab doctor biography I think (not sure who right now *checking...* Ah yah Abulcasis, 10th-11th century). I checked 3 random pages and all 3 had a very similar scene with the doctor (supposedly old) and some girl ("Be good..." guess the rest) omg. I'm so not reading that book. K maybe some day cause I've read good comments about it. (Decisions, decisions...)

2. The scene in question (Men on White Horses) was very cold. It didnt wake up my curiosity for more at the moment. I'm sure the book is great though...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun December 27th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Sex it books doesnt bother me. Cold. Harsh, hot whatever its all good. :)

Since there are so little books written about Catherine...I believe we found two fiction books...I'll take my chances.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue December 29th, 2009, 5:50 pm

my book came today. The titlepage n first few pages may rip away from the spine. I will be able to start mine tomorrow.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 29th, 2009, 8:13 pm

[quote=""Divia""]my book came today. The titlepage n first few pages may rip away from the spine. I will be able to start mine tomorrow.[/quote]

If that was advertised as good condition I'd complain to Ammy. You might at least get a couple of bucks back. No sign of mine yet, but no mail today yet either.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Russia”