Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Books about Catherine the Great

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Mon December 8th, 2008, 4:33 pm

The Russian HF author, Valentin Pikul, has written about her, wll about Potemkin, but she is extensively featured. The book is called Favourite.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu December 11th, 2008, 6:10 am

She makes a significant appearance in The Eight, by Katherine Neville.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu December 11th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Eh, I"m really looking books about her. Much like the endless Elizabeth I books we have.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri December 12th, 2008, 12:53 am

There's a juvenile fiction book about her in the Royal Diaries series too.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat July 11th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Accidentally came across a biographical novel about Catherine the Great I'd never heard of, so thought I'd add it here. I bought it at an online auction under the impression that it was a novel about the English Civil War, like the author's book "Quickenberry Tree"! However it looks quite interesting, so that's okay.

"Men On White Horses", by Annette Motley, written in 1989.
Last edited by annis on Sun July 12th, 2009, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sun July 12th, 2009, 8:07 pm

All the Evelyn Anthony books are quite good, IMO. They seem focused and well researched. They revolve more around personal/family intrigue than the vast panorama, or Catherine's relationship with scholars like Voltaire, or the many wars, or her endless paramours.

There are a large # of quite good NF bios, as well.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun December 20th, 2009, 10:47 pm

Look at what I just found. I'm reading Motley's The Quickenberry Tree and enjoying it a lot so I wandered over to see what else she's written and found this about Catherine the Great. No reviews either at Ammy or Goodreads. Anyone familiar with it?
Eighteenth-century Russia, where the dazzling opulence of court life ignores a murky world of poverty and suffering; a country where greed and corruption prevail. Yet for Sophie, a lesser German princess poised on the brink of womanhood, this is the fairytale land of wealth and power which she alone is destined to rule.

Her heart fired with ambition, Sophie is whiscked away from her ancestral home into marriage with Peter Ulrich, heir to the Imperial throne. Spirited, intelligent, wise beyond her years, she soon earns a place in the Tsarina Elizabeth's affections and a new identity as the Grand Duchess, Catherine Alexeyevna.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun December 20th, 2009, 11:32 pm

I'd be interested to see what people have to say.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun December 20th, 2009, 11:51 pm

I couldnt wait...so I ordered a copy. I'll tell you how it is :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon December 21st, 2009, 12:38 am

[quote=""Divia""]I couldnt wait...so I ordered a copy. I'll tell you how it is :) [/quote]

I thought that would grab your attention. From the brief shopping expedition I took there aren't that many used copies available on the reasonable side.

***Edit. I'm guessing you bought the other hardback for $1.50? Abe has some listed for $1.00 but they are only UK sellers and it's about $10 postage. Let's keep our fingers crossed until there's a ship confirmation.
Last edited by Misfit on Mon December 21st, 2009, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Russia”