Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Kirov Saga by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 10th, 2010, 6:14 pm

I started book #2 yesterday, I'm about 100 pages in. Still in London though, she's just now getting aquainted with "her" Count Kirov.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 2:46 pm

I'm bumping this thread as I sparked some interest over at another thread. I'm about 120 pages into book #3 and really enjoying it. Emily is a poor relation in England until her Russian grandmother comes in like a fairy godmother, sweeps her off to Russia and like Cinderalla (really it's well done) she ends up marrying her prince - but is he so charming after all? It is 1913 and we've already met the very scary Rasputin.

I like the looks at the day to day life CHE brings to it (very EC like), plus while the families are in the very well off/royalty we're not constantly in the midst of the actual court life itself. If that makes sense.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu June 24th, 2010, 12:26 am

Do you have to read all the books? Or can you read book two without book 1
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 24th, 2010, 1:15 am

[quote=""Divia""]Do you have to read all the books? Or can you read book two without book 1[/quote]

Honestly, there is such a gap between each book the only interlapping story wise is the family relations - not all of the characters from the previous books (especially the MC's) show up in the latter one. Not like you put down Outlander and the action picks up where it left off in the last book.

It's always nice to read things chronologically but not always necessary. You could easily pick up book #3 and not miss a beat. Plus, there's a family tree and the author gives you enough background I think you'd be fine.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu June 24th, 2010, 6:02 am

A few days ago, I received my copies of this series in the post. (rubs paws in glee) I'm going to try and be good and hold off a little bit so that I can get some of Mt. TBR ground down a little. Ha!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat June 26th, 2010, 2:38 pm

I just finished Emily. Oh my what a wild ride at the end trying to escape Russia once the Bolsheviks take control.

Review for Anna here, Fleur hereand Emily here.
Last edited by Misfit on Sat June 26th, 2010, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Russia”