Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Siege of Leningrad

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Siege of Leningrad

Post by diamondlil » Wed August 12th, 2009, 1:06 pm

I quite like reading books set during the Siege of Leningrad during WWII. Recently someone I know from another board found this link where images from WWII Leningrad are superimposed over modern pictures using the same angles etc. I found them quite interesting.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed August 12th, 2009, 3:23 pm

Very interesting pictures. The only book I have read about that period is The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. What are some others?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed August 12th, 2009, 7:32 pm

David Benioff's "City of Thieves" is very good.

As far as non-ficton goes, it's hard to beat Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad"

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed August 12th, 2009, 9:56 pm

[quote=""annis""]

As far as non-ficton goes, it's hard to beat Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad"[/quote]

I second that - it's a big thick tome, but I couldn't put it down.

Another good novel about Leningrad is The Siege by Helen Dunmore
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Siege-Helen-Dun ... 061&sr=8-7

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed August 12th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean is partially set during the siege and there is also The Ice Road by Gillian Slovo.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Thu August 13th, 2009, 7:40 am

I love Beevor's Stalingrad, but but there are over 1000 kilometres between Stalingrad and Leningrad. I've met veterans and survivors of both sieges.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu August 13th, 2009, 9:09 am

Posted by Volgadon
I love Beevor's Stalingrad, but but there are over 1000 kilometres between Stalingrad and Leningrad. I've met veterans and survivors of both sieges.
Hard to imagine what it must have been like living through those sieges. The numbers of people who died were unbelievable. Did you find survivors were prepared to talk about the sieges? Sometimes when experiences are horrific, people prefer to close off the memories and get on with life.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu August 13th, 2009, 10:14 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Very interesting pictures. The only book I have read about that period is The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. What are some others?[/quote]

If you're also interested in the siege of Stalingrad, a member here (theredsoldier) has a book out called Snow and Steel. The details are in a thread in the "Author Announcements" forum, here (if I can paste the link in): http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=2003
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Thu August 20th, 2009, 7:30 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Volgadon

Hard to imagine what it must have been like living through those sieges. The numbers of people who died were unbelievable. Did you find survivors were prepared to talk about the sieges? Sometimes when experiences are horrific, people prefer to close off the memories and get on with life.[/quote]

I never asked someone directly, these things usually come out in the course of a conversation. These things, such as snow stained red, still haunt them, so they do bring them up here and there.

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Sat December 19th, 2009, 11:58 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I quite like reading books set during the Siege of Leningrad during WWII. Recently someone I know from another board found this link where images from WWII Leningrad are superimposed over modern pictures using the same angles etc. I found them quite interesting.[/quote]

I read a great novel a while back called The Last Citadel by David L. Robbins. It wasn't about Leningrad but concerned the Battle of Kursk. I couldn't put it down.

Happy reading,
G. Alvin Simons

Return to “Russia”