Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Russia

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue September 30th, 2008, 4:50 pm

I just hope that they don't use the term GULAG in that book.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue September 30th, 2008, 7:42 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]The Bronze Horseman trilogy by Paullina Simons.[/quote]

I started reading the first one but gave up because it sounded way too modern to me. I didn't wall-bang though in case it was my mood and it's still on my TBR. Many people I know and with reading tastes I share absolutely love this novel, so it's waiting in second chance alley.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alex Worthy
Scribbler

Post by Alex Worthy » Wed October 1st, 2008, 2:08 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]An unusual one about the waning days of the Revolution is The People's Act of Love by James Meek. I think it made the Man-Booker Prize Long List for 2005.

One of the summaries describes the novel this way:

Worth checking out if you like philosophical novels that ponder uncomfortable questions about human nature (and fanaticism).[/quote]

Thanks, Ludmilla. I like philosophy with history.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun October 19th, 2008, 3:08 am

Vulpes Libre are having a Russian Revolution week this upcoming week.

Click here to check out the list of posts that are going to be posted during the week.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kelly Hewitt
Scribbler

Post by Kelly Hewitt » Fri December 12th, 2008, 3:32 am

Hey ya'll. I have been on a real Russian historical fiction kick and you've given me some very good ideas.

I did just conduct an interview with Kate Furnival, author of The Russian Concubine and her brandnew novel The Red Scarf/Under a Red Blood Sky. We chat about her discovery of her family's Russian heritage, the research she's done for her new novel AND her announcement that she's just completed the sequel to The Russian Concubine to be named The Girl from Junchow/The Concubine's Secret.

Here is the link to my brand new Kate Furnivall Interview! Do read and feel free to leave your comments. Are you looking forward to the new book?

Kelly Hewitt
Loaded Questions

theredsoldier
Scribbler

Post by theredsoldier » Wed July 1st, 2009, 4:28 am

My own book, "Snow and Steel", a story about a squad in Stalingrad during WWII.
WWII Eastern Front Action Novel
http://www.theredsoldier.com
Stalingrad, as only the Russian soldier could know... available now

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

The Gathering Wolves by Elizabeth Darrell

Post by Misfit » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 10:04 pm

Just finished this one yesterday and thought I'd mention it. Set around 1919 in the far north during the conflicts between the Whites and the Reds. MC is British engineer/officer sent to a remote outpost to keep the rail lines clear and rebuild a damaged bridge. The first half was a bit slow, but the final bits when the allies pull out and they must get to safety via that rickety old rail line is quite harrowing.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri May 6th, 2011, 12:12 pm

The Bronze Horseman is currently on Kindle for $1.99.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Fri May 20th, 2011, 2:30 am

[quote=""annis""]I put off reading "War and Peace" for years, thinking it would too demanding, and rather daunted by its size, though come to think of it that shouldn't have been a consideration as it took me no time at all to charge through Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings"! I think it was just an excuse for intellectual laziness.
When I did get started on WAP I absolutely could not put it down. It is the most amazing book, and I always encourage people nervous about tackling it to make the effort, as it's so rewarding on many different levels. And I loved the ending - no matter how momentous the times and events which you live through, it's all about dealing with life at a personal level, and savoring it moment by moment.[/quote]

I read this post a couple days ago. I too always put off reading this. I've had a copy sitting on my shelf now for 15 years or so. Well, you convinced me. I started reading it and am now 150 pages in, and loving it. Thanks!

Also, someone asked about Stalinist era HF? I read a great trilogy in college in that era. They are out of print though...

Here is a link to the first one. If you can find them, they are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Arbat-An ... 418&sr=8-1

I am trying to write a HF novel (may end up having to be a trilogy) set during the reign of peter the great. His life is such an amazing story, with such a rich setting, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no HF set in the period. Between the Streltsy revolt, the toy regiments, the azov campaign, the great northern war, the building of petersburg, marrying a peasant, and sort of executing his own son, I think it could be great, if I can write it well enough.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri May 20th, 2011, 4:46 am

peter the great. His life is such an amazing story, with such a rich setting, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no HF set in the period.
Alexei Tolstoy (not the author of War and Peace, who was Leo) wrote a novel about Peter the Great, published in two volumes in 1929 and 1934. And I'm pretty sure I read a novel about Peter the Great when I was a teen (late 1960s or early 1970s), which would not have been the Tolstoy novel, because it was shorter. You're right, though, that there's not much, and that his story is amazing. Definitely time for a good, new novel about Peter.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Russia”