Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Russia

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Fri May 20th, 2011, 4:20 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Alexei Tolstoy (not the author of War and Peace, who was Leo) wrote a novel about Peter the Great, published in two volumes in 1929 and 1934. And I'm pretty sure I read a novel about Peter the Great when I was a teen (late 1960s or early 1970s), which would not have been the Tolstoy novel, because it was shorter. You're right, though, that there's not much, and that his story is amazing. Definitely time for a good, new novel about Peter.[/quote]

Hmm... ill have to check the tolstoy novel out. Thanks!
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 20th, 2011, 7:25 pm

@The Czar
Glad you're enjoying War and Peace, especially seeing you started reading it on my recommendation!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 12th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Recently noted, thanks to Ariadne's Reading the Past blog, that Linda Holeman has a series in the works described as "'Anna Karenina meets Downton Abbey', and set in 1861 Imperialist Russia in the aftermath of the Emancipation of the Serfs, a sweeping tale of how the political turmoil of the country affects one landowner's family". Publication date tentatively given as spring 2012.

Linda Holeman does the epic historical pretty well- I enjoyed Linnet Bird and Moonlit Cage, so this could be fun.
Last edited by annis on Mon September 12th, 2011, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 12th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Thanks Annis. Glad it is just in the works and not something I have to worry about reading now :p

A couple of recent finds awaiting me on the pile, both start in the late 1800's and through the revolution.

The Longest Winter Daphne Wright
A Daughter of the Nobility by Natasha Borovsky
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 13th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Uh oh. Telynor don't look :eek:

These sound promising and my library has the first book so I'm going to give it a whirl.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue September 13th, 2011, 11:30 pm

[quote=""annis""]Recently noted, thanks to Ariadne's Reading the Past blog, that Linda Holeman has a series in the works described as "'Anna Karenina meets Downton Abbey', and set in 1861 Imperialist Russia in the aftermath of the Emancipation of the Serfs, a sweeping tale of how the political turmoil of the country affects one landowner's family". Publication date tentatively given as spring 2012.

Linda Holeman does the epic historical pretty well- I enjoyed Linnet Bird and Moonlit Cage, so this could be fun.[/quote]

This sounds VERY interesting!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

The Czar
Reader

The Snow Leopard

Post by The Czar » Sat October 8th, 2011, 5:04 pm

I just read a great Russian setting novel. Its The Snow Leopard, by Daniel Leston (self published for kindle).

Its a great action/revenge type story. Russian nobleman is betrayed as a child, ends up a Mongol slave, becomes a full mongol, returns to Russia with the Mongol invasion, has a choice to make... very very good.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Antoine Vanner
Reader

"A Ring has No End"

Post by Antoine Vanner » Thu November 1st, 2012, 3:14 pm

If you're interested in Pre-Revolutionary Russia you're likely to enjoy "A Ring has No End" by Thomas Armstrong which details the lives of a rich noble family from 1854 until 1920. It's a splendid read.

And on the non-fiction side try "The Russian Court at Sea" by Frances Welch, about the evacuation from the Crimea by the Royal Navy in 1919 of the surviving members of the Russian Royal Family, including the Czar's mother, and sister, Prince Felix Yussupov, murderer of Rasputin, and Grand Duke Nicholas, former Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Armies.

DanielAWillis
Reader

Massie meets Highlander

Post by DanielAWillis » Thu November 1st, 2012, 9:39 pm

My novel Immortal Betrayal in mostly set in Russia in two time periods, 1682 and 1916.

It reads like chapters from an autobiography of a life spanning 600 years. First our hero helps Peter the Great keep his throne as a child and then returns to protect the Throne again from Rasputin.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Alexander Palace Website

Post by Antoine Vanner » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 6:43 pm

This website http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace more like a web-based encyclopedia and is a treasure-house of information on the Romanovs. There are photographs, documents, potted histories ad-infinitum.

If you're interested in Imperial Russia this is the place to go.

Be warned however - it can keep you up all night, and not for one night either!

Return to “Russia”