Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

novels about slavery

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri October 10th, 2008, 11:20 pm

I can't think of the title or author (I know, booksellers hide when they see me coming!) but the premise of the book is true: a novel by a slave was found, and after much research and analysis was found to be true. The author of the book describes the discover and analysis (this was the best part of the book), then includes the actual novel. Unfortunately as much as I wanted to like it, I couldn't get into it.

Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All by Alan Gurganus

The March by EL Doctorow

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri October 10th, 2008, 11:31 pm

[quote=""Ash""]I can't think of the title or author (I know, booksellers hide when they see me coming!) but the premise of the book is true: a novel by a slave was found, and after much research and analysis was found to be true. The author of the book describes the discover and analysis (this was the best part of the book), then includes the actual novel. Unfortunately as much as I wanted to like it, I couldn't get into it.

[/quote]

The Bondswoman's Narrative?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

AuntiePam
Reader

Post by AuntiePam » Sun December 7th, 2008, 6:17 pm

The Middle Passage by Charles Johnson
Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth

I'll second the recommendations for Someone Knows My Name, The March (Sherman) and March (the Civil War experience of the father in Little Women), Property and Nat Turner.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun December 7th, 2008, 7:00 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]The Bondswoman's Narrative?[/quote]

I missed this somehow: yes, thats the one.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun December 7th, 2008, 7:43 pm

I tried to read march once and just couldnt get into it. Maybe one day I'll try again...maybe.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun December 7th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Octavia Butler's Kindred is history, slavery with time travel. Very very powerful book.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Sally Hemings

Post by Margaret » Wed February 17th, 2010, 2:48 am

I reviewed Sally Hemings last month at HistoricalNovels.info. I thought it was a wonderful novel, beautiful and complex, about Thomas Jefferson's slave Sally Hemings. Their relationship comes across not just as an artifact of slavery, but as a relationship that embodies certain universal truths about the silences and constraints that tend to emerge in many relationships.

Barbara Chase-Riboud shared some fascinating information in the interview I've just posted on my blog. Did you know the caretakers of Monticello ripped out a small spiral staircase in Jefferson's bedroom there after Chase-Riboud's novel was first published?
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Wed February 17th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu February 18th, 2010, 12:07 am

Ok someone help me - its a sci fi time travel book, written by a recently deceased sci fi writer; The main character goes back in time to when her ancestor was a child slave and she recues him from drowning. I can't remember the title or author but I loved the book.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu February 18th, 2010, 12:41 am

I'm thinking maybe Octavia Butler's "Kindred"? Though it's so long since I read it that I may have lost the plot!

Return to “America”