Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Recommendations: Alaska, British Columbia

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu April 14th, 2011, 7:26 pm

For British Columbia, there is Susan Vreeland's novel The Forest Lover, about artist Emily Carr and her project to paint pictures of the totem poles of British Columbia. I haven't read it, but I liked Vreeland's Girl in Hyacinth Blue very much.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Fri April 15th, 2011, 2:32 pm

And on a totally different note, not HF at all, but . . . Dick Francis' 'The Edge'. About a train ride/mystery across Canada.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun April 17th, 2011, 8:48 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]For British Columbia, there is Susan Vreeland's novel The Forest Lover, about artist Emily Carr and her project to paint pictures of the totem poles of British Columbia. I haven't read it, but I liked Vreeland's Girl in Hyacinth Blue very much.[/quote]

I've read The Forest Lover, and enjoyed it very much. Jack London, of course, I read way long ago.

Wow. You guys are all fantastic to be helping me out this way.

TeralynPilgrim
Scribbler

Post by TeralynPilgrim » Wed June 22nd, 2011, 8:25 pm

I just finished Forest Lover, and it was fantastic. You'll know exactly what the Northwest is like before you go if you read this book.

Of course, you're probably back from your trip, but you should read it anyway.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu June 23rd, 2011, 7:32 pm

[quote=""rosepetal720""]I just finished Forest Lover, and it was fantastic. You'll know exactly what the Northwest is like before you go if you read this book.

Of course, you're probably back from your trip, but you should read it anyway.[/quote]

Nope, I'll be leaving a week from today.

TeralynPilgrim
Scribbler

Post by TeralynPilgrim » Thu June 23rd, 2011, 8:54 pm

Oh, well, in that case, have a great time! I wish I was going with you.
A Writer's Journey http://teralynpilgrim.blogspot.com/
Querying Sacred Fire,a novel of the Vestal Virgins of Ancient Rome.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat April 21st, 2012, 7:57 pm

Here's a new one. Well not so new, a friend just snapped it up at a book sale.

It is turn-of-the-century Alaska. The gold seekers come in hordes to Fairbanks, seduced by a dream that would make them all rich.

Among them is Flame Ryan, a beautiful young Seattle woman bought and sold by those who knew how to play the game and win. And Nuka, a homeless Eskimo boy whose search for a family forces him into the white man's world.

A stunning portrayal of the collision of two cultures, The Frozen Lady is a dramatic evocation of Alaska before and since statehood, its two opposing worlds, the tempestuous, pioneering men and women who people them and the events that are now uniquely a part of the American experience.
And the library has a copy. Yay.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 2:47 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]For British Columbia, there is Susan Vreeland's novel The Forest Lover, about artist Emily Carr and her project to paint pictures of the totem poles of British Columbia. I haven't read it, but I liked Vreeland's Girl in Hyacinth Blue very much.[/quote]

Very good book, tho needed a better editor.

If you are going to Seattle, read one of my favorite books based there - The Wizard of the Pigeons. It starts out as a fantasy (which the author is best known for) but it turns into something much more. The book is hard to find, but an easy read and well worth searching for.

I remember hearing about I Heard the Owl Call My Name, but never read it, but its based in BC.

The Gum Theif is a fun novel based in Vancouver, but its not for everyone.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm

Posted by Ash
read one of my favorite books based there - The Wizard of the Pigeons.
Robin Hobb! Love her books - in fact I'm just reading the Rain Wild trilogy at the moment. I enjoyed the novels she wrote in her Megan Lindholm incarnation.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon April 23rd, 2012, 7:08 pm

One I read earlier this year: Alexi Zentner's Touch which spans mid 19th C - 20th C in a timber community of British Columbia.

Return to “America”