Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Recommendations needed: The Gilded Age to WW1

dgaughran
Scribbler

Recommendations needed: The Gilded Age to WW1

Post by dgaughran » Sun February 20th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Hi,

I'm doing some research for a new novel. Can anyone recommend a good history book (or other resource) for the period from The Gilded Age up to the outbreak of World War 1? I have particular interest in anything focused on the ordinary lives of people, rather than great men and famous events. Anything on New Orleans during this period (1870 - 1914) would be especially useful.

Thanks,

Dave
A STORM HITS VALPARAISO - Historical novel set in 1800s South America. Read first chapter at: http://www.davidgaughran.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun February 20th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Walk don't run to your nearest bookstore and pick up a copy of The Proud Tower (about 'the gilded age) and The Guns of August, about the start of WWI, both by Barbara Tuchman. They are about great men and famous events, but they are also excellent introductions to both the age and the history. I need to think more on the social aspect; honestly I think looking at some HF of the time period would be the best way to get into the real life scene. Just suddenly blanking on names of books; stay tuned. Oh, Time and Again by Jack Finney comes to mind.
Last edited by Ash on Sun February 20th, 2011, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon February 21st, 2011, 12:27 am

Return to “America”