Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lonesome Dove series by Larry McMurtry

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Lonesome Dove series by Larry McMurtry

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 5:39 am

The Wild West comes to life!

I remember first reading Lonesome Dove years ago when the mini-series first came out.

What I didn't realise at the time was that there were other books in the series (basically it was published out of chronological order). The chronological order is:

Dead Mans Walk
Comanche Moon
Lonesome Dove
Streets of Laredo

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat August 30th, 2008, 10:30 am

All those titles sound so familiar Diamondlil. Has Comanche Moon been a film?
I've read Dead Man's Walk and Lonesome Dove. I kind of new they were linked but I didn't take much notice at the time. I enjoy McMurtry at library read level. In fact now you've mentioned these books, you've given me a lightbulb moment for books that my dh might enjoy. He is soooo difficult to choose books for (he's seldom able to get to the library and he is very picky). McMurtry though is worth a shot. (Westerny type pun intended! :) )
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 10:42 am

I think that all of the books have been made into mini-series so that might be why they are familiar

Perhaps you should visit the library to see if you can round-up ;) these books for the hubby!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat August 30th, 2008, 10:55 am

Hitches gun belt and spits. Reckon I'll just mosey along and do that! :D :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 12:40 pm

Alex Worthy
Scribbler

Post by Alex Worthy » Thu September 25th, 2008, 8:09 pm

If I hadn't read Lonesome Dove and my wife brought it home for me, I'd love her even more. There have been mini-series of all the books but after Lonesome Dove, any one other than Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones pales in comparison. I thought LD was that rare perfect adaptation of a book. Every character seemed like I imagined them.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Fri September 26th, 2008, 1:29 am

I couldn't get into Lonesome Dove and gave up after about 200 pages. Too slow.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Fri September 26th, 2008, 3:05 am

Lonesome Dove is probably my favorite book of all time. I laughed out loud, I cried, and every emotion in between. And it's probably the only western I've ever read.

I agree about the movie...for me it ranked right up there with one of the best adaptations ever accomplished.

I never read the other McMurtry novels, though. I was afraid they wouldn't stack up to Lonesome Dove and I didn't think I could handle the disappointment. :o

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri September 26th, 2008, 9:55 am

I have never read these. I'm not a big westward ho! type of chick.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 26th, 2008, 2:04 pm

[quote=""JMJacobsen""]Lonesome Dove is probably my favorite book of all time. I laughed out loud, I cried, and every emotion in between. And it's probably the only western I've ever read.

I agree about the movie...for me it ranked right up there with one of the best adaptations ever accomplished.

I never read the other McMurtry novels, though. I was afraid they wouldn't stack up to Lonesome Dove and I didn't think I could handle the disappointment. :o [/quote]

I read the first one in the series not too long ago. I will try to add the review over the weekend.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “America”