Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sara Donati

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Sara Donati

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 5:37 am

I really love Sara Donati's Into the Wilderness series.

The books in order are:

Into the Wilderness
Dawn on a Distant Shore
Lake in the Clouds
Fire Along the Sky
Queen of Swords

and what is likely to be the final book in the series and called Journey's End is being worked on at the moment.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:41 am

Oooh, good, glad you enjoyed them. I have them on my TBR pile.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 12:26 pm

If there is a weak link in the series it is probably Dawn on a Distant Shore, but other than that they are all good, and the last one was especially good.

sunnysmileqt

Post by sunnysmileqt » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 10:21 pm

What are these books really about? I've heard a lot of people say how wonderful they are but I'm not sure if they'd be my type of read. Can you please give a little bit of a description?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat September 6th, 2008, 1:49 am

The first book starts with an English woman ending up living on the wilderness frontier and her experiences of that. Some of the frontier people have close relationships with the American Indian and so there is an interesting mix of characters etc. In a way, it is a spin off from the film of Last of the Mohicans.

If anyone is interested in reading the first book, Rosina/Sara is giving away a copy of the new Trade Paperback edition which is due to be released soon.

You can win it by leaving a comment on this thread on her blog.
Last edited by diamondlil on Sat September 6th, 2008, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat September 6th, 2008, 8:59 am

I read and loved the first two but I stalled on the third - Lake in the Clouds. Not any fault on the author's part it was just my reading mood at the time. 'Lake' is still on my TBR awaiting pick up. Perhaps next when I've finished the current read - unless something really yummy turns up at the library.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:06 am

Lake in the Clouds is the weakest of the series in my opinion. Queen of Swords, which is the fifth book, is one of the best (and the fourth was good IMO as well.)
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat September 6th, 2008, 10:21 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]Lake in the Clouds is the weakest of the series in my opinion. Queen of Swords, which is the fifth book, is one of the best (and the fourth was good IMO as well.)[/quote]

Perhaps that's why I didn't get into it. If I was feeling 'meh' in myself re reading at the time it would have been easy to put it down. After I wrote the post re Lake in the Clouds I remembered I also had The Queen's Fool on my TBR (Gregory) which has been waiting forever, so I might skip to that. Oh decisions, decisions! :o
Les proz e les vassals

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Sat September 6th, 2008, 4:08 pm

I actually enjoyed the first one -- INTO THE WILDERNESS -- the best -- I've always been much more interested in Elizabeth and Nathaniel than the rest of the "gang" -- but I have enjoyed the other books in the series as well -- I would highly recommend them.

Lynn

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat September 6th, 2008, 4:17 pm

[quote=""MLS859""]I actually enjoyed the first one -- INTO THE WILDERNESS -- the best -- I've always been much more interested in Elizabeth and Nathaniel than the rest of the "gang" -- but I have enjoyed the other books in the series as well -- I would highly recommend them.

Lynn[/quote]

I wonder if that was part of it too. Elizabeth and Nathaniel are my preferences also.
Les proz e les vassals

Return to “America”