Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sara Donati

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue September 22nd, 2009, 1:52 am

I really want to read Queen of Swords but have to wait to buy or request it through ILL which is down to system upgrades till Nov. 1st.

love_uk
Reader

Post by love_uk » Wed September 30th, 2009, 6:06 am

Was deeply into the Outlander Series when I tried to read Into the Wilderness. Found it boring compared to Gabaldon & never even finished it - a rarity for me.
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Tue October 13th, 2009, 3:31 am

I'm about 20 minutes from finishing the unabridged audiobook of the 1st one, Into the Wilderness. It took around 7 hrs or so before I really felt it "grabbed" me but since then (another 23 hours) I've loved it and am sorry that I have only 20 minutes left. Based on this first one, I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest. I will read some other things things in between however, because when I have a series I really love, I like to spread them out to make them last.

Lynn

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue October 13th, 2009, 3:16 pm

I saw this at B&N the other day but was hesitant to buy it, I'm not big on American based novels. I really want to read her Queen of Swords.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed October 14th, 2009, 9:19 am

Queen of Swrods was an excellent book, but it definitely builds on the rest of the series.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue January 5th, 2010, 8:54 pm

I've just finished Into the Wilderness. I loved it, thought it was wonderful. It's definitely Outlander meets the Last of the Mohicans! Even some of the characters are the same. It's a love story but so much more, too. I was very sad to turn the last page. I hope I enjoy the next 5 book just as much.

Question: is Otter the Otter-Tooth who turns up a a sort of ghost in one of the Outlander books? I even thought Robbie McLachlan was familiar, but I don't think he is.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed January 6th, 2010, 12:10 pm

I've just got the first book in this series, the "new" cover is lovely although I quite like old ones too, I have three of them on order. Not keen on the new cover of Queen of Swords though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri January 15th, 2010, 11:33 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I've just finished Into the Wilderness. I loved it, thought it was wonderful. It's definitely Outlander meets the Last of the Mohicans! Even some of the characters are the same. It's a love story but so much more, too. I was very sad to turn the last page. I hope I enjoy the next 5 book just as much.

Question: is Otter the Otter-Tooth who turns up a a sort of ghost in one of the Outlander books? I even thought Robbie McLachlan was familiar, but I don't think he is.[/quote]

No, I don't think he is meant to be.

Claire, Jamie and Young Ian make a cameo appearance but that is the only cross over between the two series.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Wed February 24th, 2010, 3:48 pm

I just finished the last novel in this series, "The Endless Forest." It was a bit of a letdown after the nonstop action of the earlier books, but that's probably fine for a series finale. I had a hard time remembering which characters were which at first, but quickly got back into the hang of it. Even with those issues, I finished it up within a weekend, and it was over 600 pages. There is an epilogue that follows the characters in brief after the end of the story, and I will confess to getting all teary during that. ;)

I will probably return to this series and read it again at some point. It will probably be on the list of things I keep an eye out for at used bookstores.

Return to “America”