Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Beverly Swerling

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Sun August 31st, 2008, 12:52 am

I really liked City of Dreams, enjoyed following the successive generations of the central families. I'm looking forward to City of Glory, hoping to receive it soon.

sunnysmileqt

Post by sunnysmileqt » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 10:20 pm

I have Shadowbrook and City of Dreams. Should I read Shadowbrook first?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 12:13 am

[quote=""Divia""]What time period does she write in?

Lovin the avatar diamondlil :) [/quote]

She starts in the 1600s when the Dutch were colonizing Manhattan, and the books continue through the history of NYC up through the end of the Revolution (tho Im not sure exactly because I haven't read all of the books; just basing this on City of Dreams)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 12:14 am

[quote=""Divia""]OH upstate NY. Hmmm I wonder how "upstate" it is. I'll have to check.

Anyway, I checked out City of God and it seems like its a family saga. Am I right? It really doesnt sound like something I"d be interested in,but I'll wait to see what the reviews are and maybe for a summary on amazon.[/quote]

Not sure of that one, but City of Dreams is a family saga as well. But the history is fascinating, and that seemed to really be in the forefront of the writing.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 12:55 am

I have Shadowbrook. I bought it because I thought I needed to add some more HF about America to my library. I'm nervous now though since quite a few people on here seemed not to like it.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 1:39 am

[quote=""1lila1""]I have Shadowbrook. I bought it because I thought I needed to add some more HF about America to my library. I'm nervous now though since quite a few people on here seemed not to like it.[/quote]

You never know what will float your boat as it were. I loved Shadowbrook but City of Dreams was over the top in the gore factor and I wall banged it. Clearly I'm in the minority, maybe you will be as well :o :) :p

Return to “America”