Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

American War of Independence

Swampy
Scribbler

American War of Independence

Post by Swampy » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 9:33 am

I'm looking for some books based on the AWI and would like some help from anyone who can recommend a good read.

I have read Bernard Cornwell's book "Redcoat" which I thoroughly enjoyed

The only other book that I have heard good reviews about is "True to the Old Flag" written from the British perspective.

So any help would be appreciated.

Swampy

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 11:59 am

There is a lesser-known novel by Sabitini entitled the Carolinian. As you can guess from the title the story takes place in Carolina. The struggle is shown from several viewpoints and despite the sympathetic tone the shortcomings of the rebels aren't concealed. apart from the big historical events, the novel deals with family and marital relationships as well as honour and courage.

The characters are well-drawn and complex. John Rutledge is portrayed exceptionally well.

Sabatini does treat the AWI as a civil war, a struggle between Englishmen. I think this is probably not far off the mark.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 12:01 pm

A newone is coming out The Tory Window. Its a chickbook I'm guessing.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 1:03 pm

Gwen Bristow's Celia Garth is set in Charlston during the revolution but probably only for female readers.

I haven't read any of them yet but there's a six book seriescalled Sparrowhawk.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 2:03 pm

The Proud Young Thing, can't remember the author's name, gives an account of the Carolinas very early in the period. The war hasn't started, but it's getting to be inevitable.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 2:10 pm

Jeff Shaara wrote an AR duology: The Glorious Cause and Rise to Rebellion . I haven't read them, but I've heard they are decent and have been interested in reading them myself. You can read the summaries at his website.

By the way, Sabatini's The Carolinian is online at the Australian Gutenberg website. I've been dippping in and out of that one a little bit. It's more in the historical adventure/romance mold, I think, but that shouldn't take away from the interesting historical figures that are in the story. I don't often come across books that deal with the American Revolution in the southern states (in this case, South Carolina), which makes Sabatini's unique. (but from the suggestions above maybe there are more of these than I thought).

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed March 4th, 2009, 1:42 am

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Jeff Shaara wrote an AR duology: The Glorious Cause and Rise to Rebellion . I haven't read them, but I've heard they are decent and have been interested in reading them myself. You can read the summaries at his website.[/quote]

I've read Rise to Rebellion and thought it was pretty good. For a different angle, you might try Shadow Patriots by Lucia St. Clair Robson (about the Culper spy ring) which I also liked.
Last edited by Tanzanite on Wed March 4th, 2009, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected spelling

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu March 5th, 2009, 3:52 am

If you enjoy military adventures like "Redcoat" , you might like to try "Nor the Battle to the Strong" , by Charles F Price, published last year.

Here's the review from the Historical Novel Society website which first caught my attention:
"This novel of the American Revolution in the South is told from the contrasting viewpoints of Major General Nathanial Greene and Private James Johnson, a Scottish immigrant and runaway indentured servant. Their lives are both leading toward the 1781 Battle of Eutaw Springs, one of the bloodiest actions of the war.
The men are a study in opposites: Greene is highly educated, Quaker-bred and asthmatic, a plodder pouring over military texts and as quietly eager for fame as the more conspicuous Lighthorse Harry Lee, the beloved thorn in his side. Private Johnson comes with a sprightly sister in tow and is humble, resilient, and un-self-conscious, an American Candide on the adventure of his young life. But Johnson has his decency forever corroded by the brutality that marked the war even as he faces a future as a free American.
Nor the Battle to the Strong is a treasure trove of detail (Baron Steuben smells of roses and cloves), vivid characterization, and hard truths about the nature of warfare. It does not shy away from the prejudices that marked the time, and comes with illustrations and maps that are skillfully rendered. Highly recommended". -- Eileen Charbonneau

* Edit For a different angle, James L Nelson has written a rather good naval series set during the Revolutionary War. See Isaac Biddlecombe series:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/james-l-nelson/
Last edited by annis on Thu March 5th, 2009, 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri March 6th, 2009, 5:49 am

Howard Fast's, "April Morning and Bunker Hill" both very good reads....My favorites...Kenneth Robert's " Northwest Passage, (French and Indian War) Arundel, Rabble in Arms, Oliver Wiswell (Tory side of the war and Lydia Bailey"......they might be difficult to find....Couple of other mentions...Neil Swanson's "Unconquered" and Neil Swanson's "Drums Along the Mohawk".....All of them written years ago.....but worth the time to track them down.....Don't forget to look at your local Library..........

love_uk
Reader

Post by love_uk » Wed September 30th, 2009, 6:13 am

[QUOTE=Ludmilla;21868]Jeff Shaara wrote an AR duology: The Glorious Cause and Rise to Rebellion . I haven't read them, but I've heard they are decent and have been interested in reading them myself. You can read the summaries at his website.

Both are terrific. All the Jeff Shaara books are wonderful. I feel like his biggest fan - he makes history come alive for me. He makes war & warriors real & heartbreaking & human & tragic & flawed.

Cannot recommend highly enough.
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

Return to “America”