Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salem Witch Trials

nona
Bibliophile

Salem Witch Trials

Post by nona » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 1:00 pm

I'm trying to find some Salem Witch Trial books, any suggestions? I don't mind if their fiction or non-fiction.

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 2:28 pm

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Arthur Miller's play The Crucible but I don't know if that's going to be helpful for you or not.
Last edited by robinbird79 on Sun August 23rd, 2009, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 3:01 pm

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 6:52 pm

I've also read Arthur Miller's play and seen the movie (starring Daniel Day Lewis) which he wrote the screenplay
Tituba of Salem Village, a novel for younger readers.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 7:00 pm

Just finished one for my book group -- The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner. It isn't exactly HF; the plot is of a modern coed who is deeply affected by a job transcribing the diary of a young woman who was hanged in Salem, but the modern plot does help balance the darkness of the past.

The book was excellent.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 7:12 pm

I enjoyed the Heretics daughter which is on that list in wiki, but the problem was the girl was 10 and a little bit too sophisticated my opinion.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

drspoon
Scribbler

Post by drspoon » Tue August 25th, 2009, 6:38 pm

"The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" is fiction/fantasy/thriller with flashbacks to the Salem witch trials and some basic historical information about what went on.
Where is human nature so weak as in a bookstore?" - Henry Ward Beecher

Bostonduchess
Scribbler
Currently reading: The Duchess
Interest in HF: Growing up in historic New England town, close to Boston and sea coast
Favourite HF book: The Physick Book of Deliverence Dane
Preferred HF: Eighteenth century, fantasy

Re: Salem Witch Trials

Post by Bostonduchess » Tue February 14th, 2017, 2:34 pm

The Physick Book of Deliverence Dane is a great read that really delves into the history of that era. It takes place both in the present and in the 17th century. I highly recommend it if you're into the witch trials as it provides a very different perspective on what actually happened.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Re: Salem Witch Trials

Post by annis » Sat March 11th, 2017, 12:26 am

I thought "Susannah Morrow" by Megan Chance was pretty good, though it's some years since I read it. Another example of the confusing US/UK double title thingy - I read it under the English title "The Fatal Key".

Return to “America”