Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Posting Images

Technical questions/problems? Ask the admins here.
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Posting Images

Post by diamondlil » Fri November 7th, 2008, 9:14 pm

There are a number of different ways that you can include images in your posts.

One way is to click on the Insert Image icon when you are creating your post. That will bring up a hyperlink box where you paste in the URL of the image.

I tend to save the images I use in my own Photobucket account (or there are other similar programs out there as well like Imageshack), and then I post the IMG code to here. The reason for this is that you are then not leeching bandwidth from the other site.

So far example I paste the following strings (without the * that I have included so you can see the coding)

When I post that without the *s, then all you will see is the picture:

To summarise, if you type in Image your picture should show up.
Last edited by diamondlil on Fri November 7th, 2008, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat November 8th, 2008, 2:38 am

I must be cursed, Lil. I've tried that using the URL of an image saved on my Flickr account and had no luck, Mind you, computers and I have a long and unfortunate history :(

What happens is that instead of an image i get one of those little blue question mark boxes, which are what appear when an image can't be opened. Could this be a Mac incompatibility thing?
Last edited by annis on Sat November 8th, 2008, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat November 8th, 2008, 5:09 am

Maybe. Not sure.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sat November 8th, 2008, 9:01 am

I'm a Mac user too. I posted a picture a few weeks ago without too much drama. It was one I had taken (of the dog) and I did need to resize it though.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed November 12th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll try resizing my photos, but if that doesn't work will just have to resign myself to being thwarted by computers yet again :(

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 17th, 2010, 12:00 am

Bump for Michy
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

blueemerald
Reader

hmmm, need help here

Post by blueemerald » Fri July 3rd, 2015, 9:23 pm

Hi,
I also would like to know how to include an image in a post. Specifically a photo from a folder on my computer (PC). I don't really understand the URL explanation, and my attempts failed, as the photo is not associated with a website? I think this was explained to me early on, but I cannot find that info. Sorry for the need to repeat. I feel a bit of a dunce!

Thanks.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sat July 4th, 2015, 12:14 pm

[quote=""blueemerald""]Hi,
I also would like to know how to include an image in a post. Specifically a photo from a folder on my computer (PC). I don't really understand the URL explanation, and my attempts failed, as the photo is not associated with a website? I think this was explained to me early on, but I cannot find that info. Sorry for the need to repeat. I feel a bit of a dunce!

Thanks.[/quote]

Hi Blueemerald, if the file is on your computer it's easiest to attach it to your post. You could upload it to a website like Photobucket and use the URL option, but attaching is quicker:

When you're typing your post, below the box where you type in you'll see "Additional Options".

The second box in here is "Attach Files" - click the "Manage Attachments" button.

Next go to "Upload File from Computer" and hit the "Choose File" button. Find the file on your computer through the window the appears and double click it.

Watch the "Attach Files" box, I think it then shows your attachment upload progress (can't check right now as I'm on my phone). Once you can see the image filename listed in this box, you can Preview/Publish your post.

The image won't appear until you Preview/Publish so don't worry if you can't see it. When published it appears in a separate box at the bottom of your post. To get it embedded within the post itself you would need to use the URL method.

One tip, if there's an error when uploading your image as an attachment, try reducing it in size and saving back into your computer (as a separate file if you want to keep the big version) before trying again.

Hope that makes sense!

blueemerald
Reader

Post by blueemerald » Sat July 4th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Thanks LadyB for your instruction. You provided very clear steps. I am utilizing the non-URL option and trying it out with this post. I see that it worked! Yeah. And easy. Now I just need to remember and/or put these instructions somewhere easy to recall at a later date.

(This is the photo I wanted to attach with my recent post to thread "What is it doing outside your window?" I was reporting the unusually high heat here in Seattle, and how a kiddie pool was helping both my dog (Summer) and me keep coolish!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sun July 5th, 2015, 10:44 am

Oh they're both lovely, I bet they enjoyed (and needed!) that. It doesn't get so hot here but we live next to a river, so on warmer days it's fun to watch people taking their dogs down to the water, I love how they all get so excited over it.

Return to “Site Help”