Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Technical questions/problems? Ask the admins here.
FredQ
Technical Librarian
Currently reading: The Templars, Two Kings and a Pope
Interest in HF: I like how HF can fill in the gaps where we don't have enough information.
Preferred HF: Everything about the Knights Templars

Post by FredQ » Mon July 13th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Hi all,

Now that we're running the new version, I will regularly post some tips on how to use all these cool new features.

The first question is "Where is my New posts link gone?"

It is in fact very simple. On the top left corner of each page you have a little menu named Quick links. Click on it (or the hamburger icon next to it) and a little menu will pop up. The New posts link is located in it, along with some other handy quick searches:
screenshot2.png
If there's a popular demand for it, I can extract the New posts link and place it directly in the navigation bar, like it used to be on the previous version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Re: New posts

Post by Lisa » Mon July 13th, 2015, 4:50 pm

Lol hamburger. Is that what those three lines are called?

FredQ
Technical Librarian
Interest in HF: I like how HF can fill in the gaps where we don't have enough information.

Post by FredQ » Mon July 13th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Yes, that's how our UX team call them at least :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 14th, 2015, 9:47 am

I have been missing the nee posts link.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue July 14th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Me too. I like it where I can see it.

FredQ
Technical Librarian

Post by FredQ » Tue July 14th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Fair enough. I can add it back to the navigation bar.

In the meantime you can try the style called "Historical Fiction Online Latte", the link is on the navigation bar ;)

Lisa
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed July 15th, 2015, 11:25 am

So what's the difference between New Posts and Unread Posts anyway?

I was using Unread Posts, but everyone else seems to like New Posts? Is there a time limit on New Posts? Or are Unread Posts not read by anyone? (I was assuming not read by me.)

ETA do we need to have the exact sign-up time in the info below our avatars? :lol:

FredQ
Technical Librarian

Post by FredQ » Fri July 17th, 2015, 8:05 am

Lisa wrote:So what's the difference between New Posts and Unread Posts anyway?

I was using Unread Posts, but everyone else seems to like New Posts? Is there a time limit on New Posts? Or are Unread Posts not read by anyone? (I was assuming not read by me.)

ETA do we need to have the exact sign-up time in the info below our avatars? :lol:
New posts are posts that are new since your last visit. It's not showing the posts you've read.
Unread posts will still show if you logout and login back again.

I noticed the sign-up time as well, that's very silly indeed. I see if I can remove it from the style :)

Lisa
Bibliophile

Post by Lisa » Fri July 17th, 2015, 2:25 pm

FredQ wrote:
Lisa wrote:So what's the difference between New Posts and Unread Posts anyway?

New posts are posts that are new since your last visit. It's not showing the posts you've read.
Unread posts will still show if you logout and login back again.

I noticed the sign-up time as well, that's very silly indeed. I see if I can remove it from the style :)
Ok got it. So New Posts is the same as what it was in the previous vBulletin board. Thanks for making it more prominent.

FredQ
Technical Librarian

Post by FredQ » Fri July 17th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Lisa wrote: ETA do we need to have the exact sign-up time in the info below our avatars?
Ok, the sign-up time is now removed from the topic pages ;)

Return to “Site Help”