Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Need to log in over and over and over...

Technical questions/problems? Ask the admins here.
Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Need to log in over and over and over...

Post by Chatterbox » Wed June 10th, 2009, 5:15 am

Just wondering if there's a reason for this that I'm missing...

It seems as if HFO is particularly quick in automatically logging me off the site if I'm not active. If I navigate away and then back again, even for a minute to check e-mail, I always have to log back in. I was timed out in the 15 mins or so it took me to answer a PM.

I completely understand that you might want to have a time-out feature, but this strikes me as far more aggressive than any other site that I log in/out of, from Facebook to Netflix or my e-mail accounts. Is it just me? Is there a reason for this? I ask because occasionally it's irritating to have to log in several times a day if I want to reply to a post. Given my moniker, I'm sure that some people don't mind if I'm less garrulous :D ;) :D , but there are times when, rather than twiddling my fingers during the login, I just decide not to bother.

This is more curiosity than concern, but I'd be interested in any reasons behind this.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed June 10th, 2009, 5:17 am

doesn't work that way for me -- I've gone off for hours, forgetting to close out the site, and it's still up when I come back. Must be a glitch.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed June 10th, 2009, 8:25 am

I don't think I've ever been logged out of the site - if I have, it must have been a very rare occasion as I've forgotten it! Perhaps if I've been away on holiday, it might've done as I wouldn't have accessed the site for some time. I have it listed under 'Favourites'.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed June 10th, 2009, 1:15 pm

I checked your settings and couldn't find anything amiss. I'm sure you've checked "Remember me," so I'm at a loss to know what's making it act up.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed June 10th, 2009, 1:26 pm

I get timed out fairly quickly as well. If I need to type a very wordy post, then I may use MS Word and then paste it into the post box. Otherwise I just keep clicking on Preview Post to refresh.

I rarely lost a post when I've been timed out. I log back in and it's still there.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed June 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm

As long as I have the remember me button clicked I'm always logged in. I don't do that on a shared PC and always have to log back in, but then I want it that way there :o
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed June 10th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I learnt early on to put my longer posts on a Word document and then copy and paste them to the forum. I found that if I ruminated too long over a response I would be booted out and my post would be irretrievable. Much blue language ensued, and often I just couldn't be bothered re-doing a post :(

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed June 10th, 2009, 9:20 pm

I do have remember me activated; thankfully I'm not losing posts, just having to log in over and over. It's mostly annoyance with having to use the mouse more than I would like as for the last few months I've been having to use a very non-ergonomic setup without a trackball mouse and where I have to move my right arm around a lot just to hit click. So the more times I have to do it (as I just did to answer this, 20 mins after first logging into the site) the more physically painful it gets.

I can go about 30 mins on the site max, before having to log in again; but if I switch over to e-mail and then back to this page, I'll have to do it again immediately, even if I'm only off the page for 30 secs. Doesn't happen on any other site, which is why I raised it. Also, it happens on both my laptop and desktop, so I don't think it's the device itself.

Sigh. I am going to become a Luddite.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed June 10th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Perhaps your security settings are very high and it's kicking you out?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed June 10th, 2009, 9:45 pm

[quote=""annis""]I learnt early on to put my longer posts on a Word document and then copy and paste them to the forum. I found that if I ruminated too long over a response I would be booted out and my post would be irretrievable. Much blue language ensued, and often I just couldn't be bothered re-doing a post :( [/quote] I'm totally with you on this! Truck drivers and dock workers could take lessons in profanity from me at that point! ;)

(Not to imply that these occupations employ only workers who are extremely profane)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Return to “Site Help”